1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

your opinion please.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by gilly33, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi, firstly I am dyslexic and was only diagnosed recently during teacher training despite years of struggling. My daughter is 7 in y2 and I am concerned she may be dyslexic. My problem is as she has made huge improvement with her reading the school say there are no indicators to dyslexia.
    I have spent many hours helping her read. Night after night she cried and was frustrated. Now this is happening with her writing. She still does many numbers and letters backwards and struggles with sounds such as br, she says ber or even berer. She does not see that spelling is linked to writing and the words she reads she can't spell when writing. I explain things and she reads words only to forget them immediately. She had speech therapy during pre school and made progress but I'm not sure if she still needs help.
    I don't want to be pushy at her school, should I persue this and ask for an assessment or leave it to them

2. Hi, firstly I am dyslexic and was only diagnosed recently during teacher training despite years of struggling. My daughter is 7 in y2 and I am concerned she may be dyslexic. My problem is as she has made huge improvement with her reading the school say there are no indicators to dyslexia.
    I have spent many hours helping her read. Night after night she cried and was frustrated. Now this is happening with her writing. She still does many numbers and letters backwards and struggles with sounds such as br, she says ber or even berer. She does not see that spelling is linked to writing and the words she reads she can't spell when writing. I explain things and she reads words only to forget them immediately. She had speech therapy during pre school and made progress but I'm not sure if she still needs help.
    I don't want to be pushy at her school, should I persue this and ask for an assessment or leave it to them

3. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi, who knows your daughter better than anyone YOU, if you have concerns then yes persue them, it's not about being pushy it's about airing your concerns, unless there is a dyslexia expert at school no one can make a formal assesment other than an expert in this field. Have a chat with the class teacher and tell her/him your concerns, if you have no joy there ask to speak with the SENCO, good luck.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I agree with Tamtam. You know what your child is up against and how easy it is to miss dyslexia. I was diagnosed just after my finals at uni. I think is gives me a great advantage as a teacher as I know loads of ways to tackle spelling, writing and reading problems as I'd taught myself so many to get through school!.
    Whilst your daughter awaits the outcome of your forthcomming long struggle to get a clear assessment and help, two stratgies that may help her current problem.
    "Hearing" letter blends. Always tough for people with dyslexia. Make sure that she hears the letter sounds WITHOUT a vowel between. I still hear many teahers teaching the individual sounds with a vowel, e.g. they say "buh ruh" not "b r". It could be that your daughter is writing exactly what she hears when she puts "bere" (mixing the four sounds up is a different typocally dyslexic problem)
    I always write on paper with a margin. If possible I draw that margin in green. Green for go... it reminds me that that is the side to begin writing my letters. That may help.
    Another thought. Has you daughter been tested for Irlens syndrome? Some specially trained opticians will do a screening test free with a standard opticians test. The full test has to be done privately and will cost unfortunately. Check it out on google and serch for it on here. There are some real experts on the syndrome who post on this forum. In brief it involves sensitivity to light which can make the letters seem to move on standard black on white backgrounds. It's simply treated after diagnosis with coloured filters or spectacle lenses. The specific colour is determined by the full test.

5. Thank you both for your suggestions, I am in awe of teachers who are dyslexic themselves as I hadn't the confidence to work with children and opted for adults instead. Hence I am no longer teaching.
    Anyway, you have made me realise and note exactly how many things my daughter and I have in common when it comes to communicating and comprehending written text. I am going to make an appointment to see her teacher. I know this will probably get me nowhere so will ask for Senco too.
    I also found her inability to understand long vowels ee instead of eh, and saying the baby alphabet for want of a better term
    Anyway thank you again, I am trawling here and elsewhere for supporting resources but I will remember to make it fun.