1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

your (non-biblical) vision

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by foroff2233, Feb 21, 2011.

1. foroff2233

foroff2233 New commenter

I wonder if posters might care to speculate on what changes could be in store for MFL departments over the next several years ie what SMT would call a vision of what may creep up on us. For a start I speculate:
    - more Mandarin, Arabic, Hindi etc(maybe not a lot more);
    - CA must have been thrown out within the coming lustrum!
    - smaller departments in most schools, with the exception of the private sector;
    - less grammar explicitly taught. Younger colleagues don't know it so thoroughly since they weren't taught it so much as older staff;
    - more Skyping and therefore more' acquisition' and less 'learning';
    - disappearance of German will proceed apace;
    What else??

2. yasf

yasf New commenter

Difficult one. Languages are more difficult, results won't be as good, and teachers harder to get. Although with an increasingly diverse population and the rise of China - it's anyone's guess.
    let's hope :)
    I'd kind of hoped that one had bottomed out. Certainly twice the amount of MFL jobs in the TES this year than last.
    They have to be able to actually communicate in the TL for this one.
    What's German? [​IMG]

I'm prediciting a return to the whiteboard once the money runs out, the IWBs start breaking down, and there is no money to replace or mend them. "Where did I put the bluetack and those flashcards again?"

3. Random175

Random175 New commenter

When I gaze into my crystal ball I see...
    A return to story/reading texts as the main starting point of the lesson and learning new vocabulary.
    Two distinct approaches for language learners one for those who will be 'advised' (forced) to take a language and those who will give up (be told to take something else) in KS3.
    For the more able a return to more grammar teaching and more practice in writing in KS3.
    Worse behaviour in KS4 as students capable of a C in the E Bacc are forced to use up their options so they in effect have one left!!
    The take up of FCSE will increase as the qualification for those who will not continue with a language past KS3.
    No great increase in Mandarin and Japanese once the results start coming in and SLT realise what it does to their league table results!

4. It is a lesser dialect of Dutch.
    Random 175 may I ask what you mean by a return to teaching of grammar? Don't you teach grammar now? Surely it is impossible to teach a language without teaching a lot of explicit grammar. If not what do you do instead of grammar and how do you ensure your students become accurate and fluent speakers of foreign languages?