1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

your most interesting/ enjoyable unit for year 9's?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by lydzjos, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I was just wondering what units of work other drama departments use to engage year 9 students? I have completed an unit, this term, on physical theatre and they've really enjoyd it!
    In the past we have worked on teechers, (but they seem to be a bit bored with that by now! - perhaps the way I approach the unit...)
    Have also done work on technical theatre, devised theatre, commedia dell'arte, macbeth...
    I'm starting to run out of good, original ideas, and was wondering which schemes of work you use, what themes or plays seem to really engage your year 9 students, I would really love to know.
    Many thanks [​IMG]

2. I was just wondering what units of work other drama departments use to engage year 9 students? I have completed an unit, this term, on physical theatre and they've really enjoyd it!
    In the past we have worked on teechers, (but they seem to be a bit bored with that by now! - perhaps the way I approach the unit...)
    Have also done work on technical theatre, devised theatre, commedia dell'arte, macbeth...
    I'm starting to run out of good, original ideas, and was wondering which schemes of work you use, what themes or plays seem to really engage your year 9 students, I would really love to know.
    Many thanks [​IMG]

3. We do Physical Theatre, they struggle with the abstract nature to begin with but usually really enjoy themselves. We teach boys and girls separately at our school and we do a devised physical theatre thing with WWI with the boys and I used emotions and storytelling with the girls for their piece. It was really effective. Good luck!

4. Our year 9s have just performed devised pieces based on the Christmas football match in 1914. This included cross-curricular work with music, art, history and English; so there was a brilliant display to support the presentation. Pupils were engaged and produced some excellent work
    I also complete a TIE unit, where we liaise with feeder schools to prepare plays with a message - great fun, and pupils can prepare posters and worksheets, too - really good for audience awareness
    Another successful unit is the exploration of performing arts in our area - bringing in speakers (voluntary), backstage tours etc. We research performers from the areas and analyse their work
    Finally, the year 9s like ***** Russell scripts =- Terraces, Our Day Out, Stags and Hens etc - good for exploration or performance; haveused them to introduce Stanislavski

5. We use a radio drama scheme of work - I start them off with some little made up scripts and they write an ending in a group of about 5 and then they rehearse them, tape them, and we listen back and mark them as a class. The shy ones like this one.
    Also we read some of Waiting For Godot and analyse some of the techniques of Theatre of the Absurd and then they create their own Waiting For.... play and use the techniques we identified.
    Also we make silent Charlie Chaplin style movies and analyse silent movies and the art of acting without dialogue.
    I have all boys, they enjoy all of those schemes.