1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your maths areas...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giggles_88, Nov 3, 2011.

1. What does your maths area look like?
    I'm reviewing my maths area in my reception class as I don't like it at the moment....the children aren't all using it properly. I went and looked at the nursery maths area and it was very similar but had less in it. I'm wondering if I've got too much going on, I've got a trolly next to a table with boxes of compare bears, threading beads, multilink, magnetic numbers etc etc.
    Any help/links to photographs etc would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. We have trialled going away from a 'maths area' and started to make sure that there is maths in every area. We try and make sure that there is a few role play areas and one to have a mathematical slant, so last week we had a simple Indian Resturant and then had lots of money, calculators, tills etc.We alsohave a Bakery in the dough area and lots of maths in there. Might be worth a try.
    I then use some of the tables to put some maths games out.

3. Thanks for all of the responses. I do try to integrate literacy and numeracy into all areas of learning but maybe this is something I need to focus on rather that worrying about how they are using the specific ''maths area''. Thanks again