1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Masterchef audition

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Feb 20, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Which dish would you choose and why?

I'd go for Mish-mishya with lebanese cous-cous and Fattoush.

Mish-mishya is a lamb and apricot sauté with cinnamon, Fattoush is Lebanese salad with bread.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I think your best bet is to go with the food you love and are used to. So, I wouldn't got for anything too fussy. Good, plain food that reflects my roots...

Omi's Mustard Rabbit with Red Cabbage and Grated Potato Cakes.

Or maybe I should play to Greg's well-known love of desserts and go for:

Dampfnudle (steamed yeast dumplings) with a Blackberry Compote and Vanilla Sauce.

(Or, I could be a judge and taste the other Cookery Tesser's offerings....yum!)

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I wouldn't cook anything for that pair of odious nitwits to pull faces over as they greedily stuff massive forkfulls of my lovingly prepared food into their gaping, slavery maws.
    "Presentation is a bit rustic, isn't it?"
    "Yes, but is it restaurant-standard though?"
    "Tastes great but is it refined enough to take it to the next level?"

No, you half-baked, cliché-spouting cretins, that's because I pay money to eat restaurant-standard food, i.e. something I wouldn't have the energy to create at home; my own food is simple and delicious but pretension-free, and never in a million years will I ever arrange anything I cook in a pointless little tower surrounded by meagre droplets of heavily reduced sauces simply to evidence to the satisfaction of an overpaid greengrocer and dirty-faced restaurateur with dubious credentials that my food is good enough to 'take it to the next level', whatever the hell that means.

*Sorry, rant over*

[​IMG]

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Nick, you're spot on.
    I have this debate witha close friend regularly. When we go to his house, he makes lovely food, but he footers about with it (sorry for the Scottish-ism there), making it into little towers and cooking everything a la minute, which means we never get to see him. When he comes to my house, the food will be equally delicious, but it's something I can prepare in advance, and serve in big dishes for everyone to help themselves. I don't do presentation, I'm afraid. Or refined... I'm a good home cook, not a chef, and when I have guests I'd rather enjoy the food with them, rather than sweating away in the kitchen, stacking morsels of thingummy and smearing blobs of puree across the plates.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

OK, so you don't like Toad and Pasty either, imagine it's Michel Roux Jnr and Jean-Christophe Novelli, I'd be really interested in which dishes people think they could do best.

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I doubt my cooking would impress the likes of Michel Roux Jr or Novelli- they do twiddly stuff and I tend to do robust, gutsy food. Being half Celtic and half Asian doesn't lend me to being good at twiddly, I'm afraid.

7. Hear, hear nick.
    I know I cook well . I don't need the approval of anyone other than friends and family - and I most certainly do not present food in towers with drips and smears.
    It is all subjective anyway - I hate the idea that the opinion of the greengrocer and the dirty faced chap can determine someone's future.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Have to admit to having a bit of crush on Michel Roux Jr. I can't quite put my finger on why.

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Sorry for sabotaging your thread, lapinrose [​IMG]. If I was to do something like a signature dish, it would be my slow cooked braise of puy lentils, belly pork, pancetta and spicy sausages. It's something I ensure I cook all of my friends and family at least once, as it has most of then raving (the ones who aren't scared of belly pork anyway!). Nothing else needed but for some good bread and a boisterous bottle of red.
    It's big, meaty, hearty and a dish cooked with love. I'm sure it's not original as I could imagine versions of it being cooked all over France, Spain and Italy. It's also entirely pretension free, so I'm sure whilst I'm sure that Michel Roux Jr would love it; I'm also sure it wouldn't win me a place in the finals of Masterchef!

11. My food wouldn't pass muster either!
    I'd want to do roast chicken with basil butter under the skin, roasted upside down and my 'mediterranean' veg - potato, sweet potato, pepper, tomato, aubergine, red onion and anything else to hand cut into bitesize pieces roasted for about 40 mins (adding veg at the right time) in basil or lemon oil.
    20 minutes before the end of cooking soak up the excess oils and juices in bitsa bread add to the pan and put back in the oven, 10 minutes later add feta or halloumi cheese. Sprinkle with fresh herbs as it is served.
    It needs a really thin gravy, pan juices and a little white wine, reduced.

Takes too long to cook, is too rustic, lumpy and just sort of thrown into the plate to be good enough!

As for possible puds..... I'd have to do apple crumble with our own apparently rare apples, pan fried in a little butter topped with concrete crumble. I'm with Mr Slater, make your crumble as usual then sprinkle on some water to get good lumps in your crumble, I hate the fine tilth stuff you see from TV chefs - it dangerous to try and get a good sniff of your food as it is inhaled as dust and chokes you to death!
    That and a thinnish custard, less sweet than is considered 'normal'.......

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I am imagining......................[​IMG]

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

trpouble is, they get 45 mins + 10 for presentation/finishing, so nothing slow-cooked would work

I'd do a ravioli of pancetta, mortadella and parmesan (molto tradizionale!!) served with an exquisite tomato and sage sauce: skill in the past and stuffing; let the ingredients in the sauce speak for themselves!

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

me too.

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

in which case I might even burn toast! [​IMG]

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me too. I might even burn a salad too! [​IMG]

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

I just googled their datyes of birth:
    MR; 1960
    JC R: 1961

............ says a lot about us doesn't it??????????
    [​IMG]
    (I'm 62 myself!)

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

1962, that is , not 62 years old (alothough I feel it!)