1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Ideas for Improving Citizenship and Literacy, Please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 12, 2011.

1. I have an interview on Monday for a teaching post I really, really want. I know Ofsted isn't the be-all-and-end-all, -and I visited the school and saw lots of great things, and I'm excited about working in a more challenging school - but I know from their latest inspection report that they need to brush up on their Literacy (Big Writing and poor speaking & listening skills are impacting on learning across the curriculum) and Citizenship (the school's almost entirely White British and in a deprived area - proper BNPsville - and OFSTED reckon the children need to learn about other cultures, etc.
    I addressed both of these areas for development on my application (I was a bit worried the Head might not like that I had obviously been looking at their OFSTED reports...), and it wasn't Personal Statement hyperbole when I said it's this kind of thing that makes me really excited - yes, of course we want to drive up and maintain academic standards but it's about so much more - like lifelong skills such as Speaking & Listening and helping to mould kids into responsible citizens who won't be swayed by racist propaganda! (I had a glass of wine with dinner!)
    I'd love to go armed with suggestions for practical ways of helping to improve these areas, and if anyone has any ideas, or things they have enacted themselves, I would love to hear them!
    So far I've been thinking of having a World Day at school, where different classes could represent different countries (or continents?) and dress up and eat the foods and have an assembly where we share what we've learned?
    I also really like the idea of sponsoring a child, through World Vision or someone. Obviously I'd pay for it and put it in the class' name: we'd send and receive letters and photos and it would be such a sweet thing to do as a class, and I think very effective when they are in contact with a child just like themselves.
    I was also thinking (I'm KS2) of setting up a penpal scheme with a class in a very different part of the country. I trained down south and am now in Yorkshire so maybe someone I trained with who now works in London, or anywhere inner-city, really? Just haha I dunno, for happy multiculturalism to rub off?
    I also speak German and want to set up a German Club so I reckon I could set up a link with a German primary school... Although, apart from all the sausages (oh, the sausages) and a better ability to handle drink, German culture isn't that different to ours.
    Are these lame? The speaking & listening I think is harder? It's more everyday, through AfL practice - rehearsing and sharing ideas, etc. Also using ICT to record work? I was thinking of a debating club, but that would obviously only be for those who wish to come, and probably that'll be the ones who don't need the intervention as much anyway?
    Sorry for rambling and thank you in advance for any ideas you might have xxxx

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I school I worked at held a multicultural week which included things like African drumming, clay model mask making, adinkri prints, cookery and all sorts of links to the wider world. People from the local community were invited in to talk about their culture/share food etc. The children wrote recounts from the week in Literacy and it was just a really nice way to celebrate different cultures so I think a World Day is a lovely idea.

As for S&L, the debating club is a good idea. To really go back to basics and access every child, what about just introducing a weekly 'talk homework'? As silly as it sounds lots of children do not go home and actively talk to their family members so by giving them a specific topic for talk homework which they have the opportunity to share back at school can really have an impact. I get my class to summarise their talk homework to their carpet partner and then choose a few to feedback to the class. They really enjoy sharing and it is something they can all access.

3. Thank you so much, Cally. I really like your ideasand I really like you. [​IMG]
    Love the idea of actually, physically bringing members of different communities in for World Day. And I don't think Talk Homework is silly, I think it's genius. IIIIIII'm sorry to get all Vanessa Feltz on your ass, but I really think sitting, slack-jawed for hours on end in front of these pip-pip-pipping computer games is rotting the kids' vocabularies and also, I'd ask parents to write a sentence or two in the Hmwk Book (to prove they did it!) and there's a strengthened home/school link, right there!
    I love your ideas; thanks so much! xxx

4. Eurovision Song Contest!!!