1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Half Term - What Are You Upto?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by anon4562, Jul 28, 2014.

1. What has everyone been doing in the past few weeks of their time off? Personally, I've been sorting my ICT work out for when I teach year 5 ICT in the mid year & sorting out my classroom! How about you guys?

2. Half Term?

I call it my Summer Break!! I had the Thursday of last week off and did nothing at home. Friday, I went in and blitzed my classroom for September.

Whatever I didn't recycle, I put into cardboard or plastic boxes and then put to one side or in my cupboard. My school has a deep clean and will be closed, so I won't be able to access my room for another month - Hurrah!

Only problem is that I will be returning to find a smelly backpack. Having gone on the Year 7 camping trip, I must have left it there.

If I were a forward planner, I would plan my first few lessons for September - however, the sunshine is very distracting!

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I can tell you what I'm not doing - school work of any kind, and I will be nowhere near the school on results days.

4. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Tidying my house has featured quite a lot (the NQT year has definitely taken it's toll on the state it's in!).

Trying to be healthier - doing regular exercise (swimming and cycling) as I've not really done any all year.

Enjoying cooking tasty things and finding new recipes.

Catching up with friends, visiting people in other parts of the country.

Planning and booking a short break to London for next week.

I have done a bit of school work (a couple of afternoons) - I've made vocab lists for every KS3 French module we do, so that I can send the lists to pupils at the start of each new unit and set learning homework from them. I've also put the vocab lists into Memrise so pupils can use the Memrise course for that module to practise.

I don't plan on going into school at all during the holidays - I sorted my classroom out in my frees over the last couple of weeks and a bit after school, so it's reasonably OK now.

Towards the end of the holidays I will do a bit more work just in terms of planning the first few lessons for each group. Last year I did way too much and it was a total waste because as I didn't know the pupils (and there was no SoW) most of what I planned ended up not being used.

5. I have to sort my classroom out due to the move in classrooms. My classroom could only be sorted once they had taken the shelves off the wall and put up by book cabinet (My Precious) After that, it was the last week of term and I'd only just started to take my displays down but most of the work can be done in September but I need to get some done beforehand.