1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

your file is dormant has anyone been told this by an agency?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tonymars, Nov 26, 2018.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I was told this today by an agency I had worked a half term for in February to March this year.

I presume this means the salespeople at the agency think that I am not available for work. Or does it? How does a file become "dormant"? How significant is this?

Touch wood so far my experiences with agencies have been ok, but I am aware that money is tighter than ever and there are some very dodgy characters around who might for example, be quite capable of having a file marked dormant just because a teacher refused to work for a lower rate than previously.

Has anyone any experience or advice? I have no illusions that agency salespeople are only in it for the money and do not give a *** about individual teachers, but I think it's useful to gain as clear a picture as possible about how they work.

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

It could be that, if you have not worked for an agency for a few months, you 'fall out of compliance', and would have to re-register.

3. tdf192

tdf192 New commenter

In order to manage the large numbers of people on their books, companies will place everyone into distinct 'pots' to try and make sure that you are only given relevant information & jobs / contacted at the right time etc. - some are better at doing this than others.

Dormant would likely be down to compliance as @Jolly_Roger15 says. If you have not worked for them since March you may just be able to provide them with a reference to cover the time you have worked somewhere else - depends on their compliance standards.

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I recon that most Agency staff usually do their best under increasingly difficult and competitive conditions.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

As others have said its a compliance requirement and many agencies will do this. If you want to reactivate your account its very likely you will need new references. But if you have allowed your file to become dormant because other agencies have kept you busy or the agency in question hasn't offered you any work then why bother?

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As supply work is so sporadic and scarce in some parts of the country, finding new references to cover the time you have not worked for an agency can be difficult. I have found myself involved in bizarre, circular conversations with agencies over this.

Agency: "Why you haven't you done any work for us, over the past three months?"
    Me: "You haven't found me any."
    Agency: "To reactivate your profile, we will need references form the last three months. If you had worked for us, this wouldn't be a problem."

7. Abadie

Abadie New commenter

I think permanent teachers should have the same checks. I am sure there are a few dodgy characters that have slipped under the radar in permanent teaching but for some reason they are treated as being above reproach.

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I've been sent my P45!

agathamorse likes this.