1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your favourite veggie winter soup

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lilachardy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What would you vote for?

Red pepper and butternut squash is always good, but you can't really beat a standard vegetable soup IMO.

Any favourite recipes?

BelleDuJour likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'd go with the roasted red pepper and butternut squash but I'd add any other veg in the fridge.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love celeriac with roasted garlic and I do a fabulous roasted butternut one with chilli and a sweetcorn salsa.

4. needabreak

Ooh celeriac & roasted garlic sounds lovely, will look up that recipe unless you have a link?

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Lentil and bacon
    Split pea and ham

Ribstickers.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Celeriac; vegetable with pearl barley, leek and potato, minestrone, roasted butternut squash, French onion.

nick909 likes this.
  7. BelleDuJour

They are not truly veggie @nick909 ......but delicious!

nick909 likes this.
  8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ah, my mistake. Didn't occur to me that they needed to be completely veggie, despite the title and Lilac being a veggie...durrr...

I think a butternut squash soup needs something fresh or spicy in it to lift it a bit. It all gets a bit sweet and cloying otherwise. I like the sound of BS's addition of a sweetcorn and chilli salsa.

I often do a nice one with chickpeas, leeks and parmesan. Semi-blended for thickness but with a little texture left in. A veggie-friendly substitute for parmesan could be used if that's not allowed (I think parmesan contains rennet).

I like the French way of thickening soups with rice such as in potage Crecy. Carrots and onions, softened in butter, stock and a little long-grain rice added, cooked and blitzed. The rice makes it so rich and creamy. Lovely.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Oooh yeah, and I'll second Belle's French onion. Rich and satisfying, especially with the cheese croutes, so hot you burn your mouth trying to eat them! I personally like it made with beef stock best, I have to say but veg stock is a decent alternative.

10. needabreak

Spicy carrot and coriander is also nice, or potato and watercress ... yum!

11. lilachardy

Thanks all.

I am making soup for friends and was just looking for popular ideas.

Something with a little kick seems to be the theme.

:)

needabreak likes this.
  12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Leek and potato or butternut squash

needabreak likes this.
  13. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Pumpkin, coconut milk and Thai curry paste makes a delicious, thick soup. I also add onion but no water or stock, pumpkin is pre-roasted and yields enough liquid to give required consistency

14. lilachardy

15. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I like lots of soup, but my favourite is probably borsch (beetroot soup) with sour cream.

16. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Celery soup does it for me. It's not vegan, but is vegetarian, as I like to add cream, and you need a potato or two to give it some body, and nutmeg, but I also do like pumpkin or squash soup with or without chilli/peppers. With the celery, always de-string the backs or else it's vile.

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I find pushing celery soup through a fine sieve gets rid of any fibres and makes for a wonderfully smooth soup as well.

18. BelleDuJour

I just bung the lot in my Vitamix....string, peel, stalks....the lot!

19. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

I put in B12

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I had a red lentil tarka dal for tea last night which definitely qualifies as a winter soup.