1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your favourite story/ non fiction books for introducing different writing genres?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by twinklelittlestar, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Hi,

I'm a Reception teacher and this year I'm working with the higher ability children across the year group to extend their writing skills. I was wondering about any books you think are good for introducing different genres of writing e.g. Lists (we listed fruits in Handa's Surprise but maybe there is a good shopping book to introduce the idea?) instructions? Recounts? Books with letter/ postcard templates?

thankyou!

2. Hi T, 'Don't forget the bacon' by pat Hutchins is good for shopping lists. To inject some fun maybe use a story that has lots of items or animals for children to remember and list as a timed activity. You could use Brown Bear Brown Bear, We're going on a bear hunt (for different weather/features), Dear Zoo, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Ten Little Rubber Ducks -there's probably loads. For instructions you could use a You tube excerpt from Peter Pan how to fly or how to get to Neverland, Dad I Can't Sleep by Michael Foreman ( how to go to sleep) how to be a butterfly (v hungry caterpillar) what TV programmes do children like? could you link in some instruction writing. Dear Greenpeace is good for letters. I will keep thinking. Eve

3. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

For lists and instructions I've found that "Mr Wolf's Pancakes" is excellent as the children need to help the wolf to read the ingredients then write a list then pay for them at the shop. Real life context as we usually go to the shop to buy them and use the lists they have written.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

For letter writing, I like "Nice Try, Tooth Fairy" by Mary W. Olson. The little girl puts her tooth under her pillow but then changes her mind, so she writes a letter to the tooth fairy to bring it back. The tooth fairy keeps bringing back the wrong tooth, so the little girl has to write lots of letters explaining what her tooth is like!

5. We have just used Jack and the Flum Flum Tree by Julia Donaldson for lists, problem solving and descriptions as well as lots of UW work on different places. Super book.

6. Some fantastic ideas, I was just revisiting this as I've bought and used lots of the above named books so thank you to all who took the time to reply. Just wondered if there were any more suggestions? I've recently used the Gruffalo for character descriptions, does anyone know a good book for setting descriptions?