1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your favourite bus stop

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Mine was the one in Hackbridge where the 147 stops. It had a shelter.

2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

The one where I grew up - brick built shelter when waiting in the cold weather for the school bus.

If you missed the public bus on a Monday, you had to wait until Tuesday for the next one!

[​IMG]

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The one in Marsh, Huddersfield, where I used to meet my (then) boyfriend.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Any bus stop with a sunny prospect and an absence of gale-force winds & precipitation of any kind.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The one in Clapham Junction where 6 different numbers stop and it's a test of skill to work out where you need to stand, in the mass of humanity that is waiting, to manage to get onto the one you need, especially when the indicator shows that 6 buses are all 'Due' at exactly the same time.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not public transport as such but the school bus from 1966 to 1973.

I graduated from sitting by the door (no automatic doors in those days) and opening it to the much-coveted BACK SEAT. There was competition for that so I made as sure as I could I got there before it arrived so I could secure my place.

This entailed getting out of lessons on the stroke of 15:45 and walking the mile or so to the city's grammar school. The bus left from there. Not from my school (we were the direct-grant and there weren't many of us). We had a bus to take us to the proper bus but, if you waited for that, you risked not getting your seat at the back so I always shunned that and walked the whole way.

I can remember the anxiety very vividly even now.

7. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

I recently went down a road near Winchester towards Alresford and they had some magnificent new bus shelters made in wood in a "Whicker Man" way. Amazing.

kibosh likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Nice & toasty in the winter, being over the engine. Often a fume problem, however.

9. bluelemonade

Still, I was disappointed to see that the "Trout" was now called the "Plough", but hey, I was on my way to the "Pub with no Name".

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Alan Whicker?

Mind, if they were wicker, aspens might like them. She's partial to wicker, I believe

11. bluelemonade

Sarry. well they were actually wood, but it had that feel to it.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

This bus stop near Guildford appears to have every modern convenience:
    [​IMG]

kibosh likes this.
  13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How many bus shelters still have their own resident tramp?

15. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

[​IMG]

The stop is behind the trolleybus, and it was just up the road from where I used to live. I used to love going on the trolleybus; it was a big adventure, as they were much quieter, and moved faster than an ordinary bus. I was only about 5 or 6 when they did away with them on the Uxbridge Road.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Do you remember, JollyR, how they the drivers had those long poles with hooks on the end for when the long antennae came off the power rails?

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I haven't travelled by bus for years but used to catch a bus to work from Clifton in Bristol, quite close to the suspension bridge. Many years later, in London, I became friends with the mother of a child at the same Nursery as my daughter. We both felt we had known each other before and it turned out we used to catch the same bus but had never spoken. That's my only bus stop related anecdote ;).

Lascarina likes this.
  18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I do enjoy anecdotes.

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I remember seeing those poles being used, but now you've got me wondering where they would have been stored on the vehicle.

You've also got me wondering what happened to all the poles that kept the power rails aloft and what became of the telegraph poles after the cables were buried underground. Were they turned into log cabins or some such things? Do Scotsmen toss them?

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Log fires?