1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

YOUR EXPERT OPINION IS NEEDED PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by timetogetup, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Next week I have an observation from the LEA with the possibility of me becoming a leading teacher in EY. The advisor and my head are arriving at 9.30am, just as the kids finish assembly (great)! They will be observing me for an hour, this will include a carpet time, then CI activities whilst I lead a focus activity.
    Firtsly, as the kids will have just returned from a twenty min assembly, I do no want my carpet time to be too long, therefore this is my plan:
    Our topic is stories focussing on Little red riding hood for that week.
    I have 30 reception kids, a TA and a voluntary helper. The ch have been really into cooking and a few ch have enoyed writing ingredients and recipies since recently having made pancakes and rainbow toast.
    My LO is: 'To be able to write for a purpose - LA To be able to write a list MA - To be able to write instructions. To be able to hear the sounds in the order in which they appear in words.
    We will be making a virtual cake for grandma from the story, I will have a large mixing bowl and a cupboard full of plastic ingredients, i will choose some ch to pick an item from the cupboard to use to make the cake, as we put the ingredients into the bowl, we will then mix them up, add a little magic and we will then produce a cake (Blue peter, here is one i made earlier)! We will then review the ingredients that we used, the ch will use talk partners to discuss this.
    The ch will then be given mini whiteboards will the more able group being positioned near a TA, we will then as a class discuss which ingredient we put in first and the LA ch wil write down the ingredient only, the MA will write an instruction sentence including the name of the ingredient, we will then do this for each ingredient.
    My TA will then be asked to observe and scaffold ch learning inside the classroom, my voluntary helper will be based in the role play area to observe and scaffold here and to further her skills and I will be based outside doing my focus activity.
    My focus activity will be with the least able ch, we will be working 'To be able to blend the sounds in words'. there will be some letters floating in the water, the children will be asked to fish out the letters to form a given word. we will repeat this with a few various words. I will then fish out some sounds and form a word and ask the ch to read the word. Finally, as a prompt for during CI time, the group will be a given a clipboard with one letter sound on it, the children will then be encouraged to look around for any items or children whose name begins with this letter and they can write this down on the clipboard.
    So, how does this all sound to you, all feedback greatfully recieves, thanks xxx

2. Hi all,

Next week I have an observation from the LEA with the possibility of me becoming a leading teacher in EY. The advisor and my head are arriving at 9.30am, just as the kids finish assembly (great)! They will be observing me for an hour, this will include a carpet time, then CI activities whilst I lead a focus activity.
    Firtsly, as the kids will have just returned from a twenty min assembly, I do no want my carpet time to be too long, therefore this is my plan:
    Our topic is stories focussing on Little red riding hood for that week.
    I have 30 reception kids, a TA and a voluntary helper. The ch have been really into cooking and a few ch have enoyed writing ingredients and recipies since recently having made pancakes and rainbow toast.
    My LO is: 'To be able to write for a purpose - LA To be able to write a list MA - To be able to write instructions. To be able to hear the sounds in the order in which they appear in words.
    We will be making a virtual cake for grandma from the story, I will have a large mixing bowl and a cupboard full of plastic ingredients, i will choose some ch to pick an item from the cupboard to use to make the cake, as we put the ingredients into the bowl, we will then mix them up, add a little magic and we will then produce a cake (Blue peter, here is one i made earlier)! We will then review the ingredients that we used, the ch will use talk partners to discuss this.
    The ch will then be given mini whiteboards will the more able group being positioned near a TA, we will then as a class discuss which ingredient we put in first and the LA ch wil write down the ingredient only, the MA will write an instruction sentence including the name of the ingredient, we will then do this for each ingredient.
    My TA will then be asked to observe and scaffold ch learning inside the classroom, my voluntary helper will be based in the role play area to observe and scaffold here and to further her skills and I will be based outside doing my focus activity.
    My focus activity will be with the least able ch, we will be working 'To be able to blend the sounds in words'. there will be some letters floating in the water, the children will be asked to fish out the letters to form a given word. we will repeat this with a few various words. I will then fish out some sounds and form a word and ask the ch to read the word. Finally, as a prompt for during CI time, the group will be a given a clipboard with one letter sound on it, the children will then be encouraged to look around for any items or children whose name begins with this letter and they can write this down on the clipboard.
    So, how does this all sound to you, all feedback greatfully recieves, thanks xxx

3. Surely if you're hoping to become an EY lead teacher, it should be you giving us advice...
    [​IMG]

4. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

Sounds like a good activity! How long are planning for the carpet activity to take? From the sounds of it it might take a while, and they would have already been sitting in assembly. I would keep it quick and simplify it.

Good luck

5. I would consider starting with a quick practical activity for 10 minutes or so, related to your objective and then have your carpet session, keeping that to 10 minutes too. This then leaves 40 minutes for main lesson and plenary . Good luck!

6. I loved Yohana's reply too. :)

7. Why not do <u>real</u> cooking with real ingredients with the children? Afterwards a group can use the pretend ingredients in role-play.

8. Oops, sorry posted too soon! Why not make the cake for the wolf instead of grandma? You could have lots of talk abouthow the wolfe is hungry and that's why he wants to eat grandma. Talk about what type of cake he would like. Talk about the ingredients to go in the cake and get the children to write a shopping list. You could do this a day or so before your observation, then on the day get the children to remind you of their suggestions, and read their shopping lists. In the meantime you will obviously have gone shopping and then on the day as the children read the shopping list you show them the individual ingredients.

After making the cake one group can do a writing activity saying how the cake was made, and this will obviously link with their shoping list and shows the link with their previous learning, one group can use pretend ingredients in the role-play to make a cake.