1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your experiences with LGBT teaching or "no outsiders" programs.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by alex_teccy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. alex_teccy

alex_teccy New commenter

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with teaching LGBT programs, such as "no outsiders"? For example how SLT handle the topic, what you've been directed to teach, resources used, and the responses/questions from children, how you feel about it, parental reactions etc.
    With all the heataed deabate about LGBT teaching in primary schools, I'm generally curious to have some more information from the professionals, to better understand whats going on.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

As you are a new poster whom no-one knows and this is quite a contentious issue at the moment you may have to understand that the many professionals on here may refuse to comment.

edit. You have been a member since 2008 but only posted 17 times!

3. alex_teccy

alex_teccy New commenter

I totally get your point, but maybe we can be a bit more positive about this. It is basically an anonymous forum, posters could always make a new account if they really needed to share their thoughts.
    This is an important issue with potential issues for child safety and rights/responsibilities of parents which many published commentators are refusing to discuss.

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

The forum may be anonymous, but there's still a certain professionalism that, personally, I would like to retain. I will not post any personal experiences in this area for two reasons.

Firstly I am aware that any personal anecdotes could be taken out of context. If several teachers post tales of parents complaining/students transitioning, suddenly it is "widespread". I can imagine news articles flaming the issue, claiming this is what the teachers think.

Secondly, I am aware that any personal anecdotes are incredibly specific and more importantly, sensitive. Anonymity is not just about a lack of names; if the student/parent were to read an anecdote, would they be able to identify themselves?

TCSC47, strawbs, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  5. alex_teccy

alex_teccy New commenter

I agree but look at my OP; I'm asking about the experience of teaching the topic, in terms of content, guidance, personal capability and types of questions children asked. Aboutthe overall suitability in the context of the current debate or lack thereof. 100% agree that we should avoid any content that could be identified but thats not what I asked, to be fair.

6. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

The program isn't teaching just about LGBT, it is teaching about respect for each other and acceptance. As a parent if I wanted to know what was being taught in my child's school i would make an appointment to speak to my child's teacher.

JL48 and agathamorse like this.