1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your experience of working with local Emirati kids

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Hi,
    Those of you working or have worked in the UAE, what were your experiences of working with local Emirati kids (from both elite and non-elite backgrounds), I understand sometimes behaviour/attitude can be an issue.

Thanks

2. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Hi,
    Those of you working or have worked in the UAE, what were your experiences of working with local Emirati kids (from both elite and non-elite backgrounds), I understand sometimes behaviour/attitude can be an issue.

Thanks

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some Emirati parents, and their children, are charming, delightful and hard-working. Some are not. In most countries in the Gulf region, there is one main purpose and reason for the expats being there: to do the work. The work might be clearing up the garbage or teaching in schools. Both of these occupations do not seem to be popular with Emiratis and other Gulf nationals.
    On the other hand, are foreigners in the UK always treated with kindness and respect? I don't think so. Are all children and teenagers in the UK studious, well-behaved and a pleasure to teach? I don't think so. Therefore perhaps it is a good idea to remember the old proverb, "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones." Yes, I did have some horrible experiences when trying to teach Saudi teenagers when Mrs Hippo and I were in Jeddah, but then again a Saudi teacher (if indeed there is such a person) in the UK might also have some bad experiences too.

4. in terms of behaviour, what kind of challenges did you face?

5. ychowdhury,
    I'm going to assume by your username that you are of Indian extraction. Various Gulf countries are known for their racism towards those from the subcontinent and surrounds.
    I knew several well-qualified professional people who were more educated and intelligent than the locals. Despite this, these people suffered due to the 'all workers from the subcontinent are inferior to me and are only fit to be manual labourers, cooks and gardeners' mentality.
    One woman eventually left the school due to the treatment she received from the students and lack of support from admin. Admitteldly this was not in the UAE.
    I am not saying that this is from all Gulf nationals in all places or schools, but I thought that you should be aware that this does exist.

6. Hi Sidinz.

I have also heared about this too from a lot people abroad. (btw you were close, Im Bangladeshi and Muslim) lol.

wow, tbh I dont know how I would react especially anything to do with racism or discrimination. Currently I work in a white working class challenging school, and although there is a racism mentality amongst the students, they actually really like me and respect me..so havent actually experienced any racism (yet!)

THanks for the info

7. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

The most annoying traits in my experience are laziness, lack of respect, inability to take responsibility for their behaviour, and being pathalogical liars. These traits are mainly seen in the boys.

8. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Well, I don't think I've taught in the roughest schools in the UK but my experience in the UAE is that behaviour is not as bad as in the UK. In the international schools that I taught in the Emiratis made up a small proportion of the students and the rest were from a mixture of nationalities. As exasperated at as I get with some of my students, I don't think I could go back to a state school in the UK!

9. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

are you currently ion the uae? would you put your children in the same schools?

10. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

hi there Penny10p. I am worried about putting my son in a national school but desperatelywant to teachin UAE. Can you help.