1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your experience of SEAL in Secondary Schools

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by daftbeetle, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I am a second year BAEd studying at Goldsmiths. I am completing a paper on the social and emotional aspects of learning and want to gain an understanding of how this is perceived within secondary education and amongst teaching staff.
    If you can take a few moment to answer the questions below, I would be really greateful!
    Thank you.

1. If you consider that there has been more a focus over the past 3-5 years, do you think this has had a direct impact on increased attainment levels at secondary school age? Yes/No

2. 1. Are you aware of what the SEAL Programme is? If yes, is this something you recognise throughout the Primary and Secondary education systems?
    Yes, Both
    2. Does your school promote initiatives for the development of social and emotional skills amongst its pupils?
    Yes, in form time and PSHCE. In reality it may only get a cursory glance in the form time programme despite the best efforts of the pastoral team to promote it. With the work-related learning, uniform checks, planner checks, equipment checks etc form tutors are pushed to give it reall attention plus the materials are often uninspiring. Imagine having a sullen group of 15 year olds and presenting them with a worksheet to talk about 'feelings'!
    3. Are these initiatives part of the National Curriculum or do they run as separate sessions?
    Both
    4. Have you noticed a conscious effort within the education system to develop children’s social and emotional wellbeing over the past 3-5 years?
    Yes
    5. If you consider that there has been more a focus over the past 3-5 years, do you think this has had a direct impact on increased attainment levels at secondary school age?
    No I don't think so.

3. Thank you so much for your comments, this is really helpful for my assignment.
    Cheers,
    Dan

4. Thanks for posting your comments, especially like the reply to question 2.

Agian thank you.