1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your experience of attending job fairs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by momentofclarity, Mar 27, 2011.

1. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Only a W.O.T if you don't get what you want. The introduction in BKK was very clear, the number of schools and positions was explained - obviously this is subject to change on a minute to minute basis as the school(s) hire candidates. My biggest criticism was the lack of an ongoing and accurate list of postings - with the data base system they use you would think they could set up a real-time database for candidates. The number of candidates was also very clear, unless you were asleep during the two briefing sessions of over 200 each. It was clear BKK was a highly competitive fair and it was made clear that less than 50% of the people would be walking away with jobs. Job fairs are a necessary evil of our chosen profession - if you don't play the game or don't offer what schools want then you are going to be left out.

Good luck and don't focus on the negative.

2. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

I'm only looking for schools in UAE at the moment. i have no previous oversead teaching experience and have been in the profession for 5 years. What are my chances?

3. Is that at my school, Superman?
    That would be fab! [​IMG]

4. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

I have attended several job fairs both COIS and Search and have generally had positive experiences. It has changed somewhat since I attended the first in 1998. There are now more teachers from the UK looking to move overseas and with the dip in the number of jobs due to the economic crisis the competition for places is quite high.

I agree with what other posters have said in that it depends on what subject area you teach as the 'core' subjects are always going to outweigh the peripheral ones. The demand for the top tier schools is immense and it can be quite difficult to even get an interview sometimes.

As for the issue of organisations who hold the fairs not having up to date vacancy lists, I think the situation is sometimes so fluid with schools taking every advantage to see as many candidates as possible before and during the fair. Also with Search and COIS, they tend to have the fairs within a week of each other and a number of schools attend both so vacancies will disappear in a very short space of time.

My opinion is if it is not going to cost you a huge amount of time and money go to the fairs and you never know what might crop up. If you are too picky, then don't be disappointed if you don't the get the 'dream' job you were looking for.

Good luck!