1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Easter 2020 imaginary holiday snaps

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Apr 6, 2020.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We can't go on our jolly holidays this Easter can we, so how about we pretend?

Post images of places you might have visited, favourite places you've already been to, or places you've never been to before but would like to visit if you had the chance.

If nothing else it makes for some interesting snaps to look at - at best it might inspire others to make the journey themselves.

In a parallel non coronavirus universe we would probably have been dining out in Honfleur, Normandy tonight, as the first step of a long trip south.

Hol202001.jpg
    Around this time last year we had the whole of the beautiful Traigh Uig on the Isle of Lewis to ourselves. It was where the Lewis Chess Set was first discovered, and it went straight into my top five beaches anywhere.

Hol202002.jpg

TheoGriff, jellycowfish and Jesmond12 like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Two years ago we were here.....[​IMG]

Pompeii

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

...and last year we were here....

upload_2020-4-6_19-23-21.jpeg

Dubrovnik

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

[​IMG]

Here I am on the top of Ben Nevis, its taken me all day to get here :)

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Love Normandy and Honfleur is delightful and a rather yummy place to find a nice restaurant to eat :)

I would love to be able to go back to Athens Georgia to repeat my homage trip to R.E.M.

This is a pic of the now famous diner Weaver D's made famous by the band in their multi award winning album "Automatic for the people"
    0DADF492-9EA3-4681-B6F5-E2EE2DCBA85C_1_105_c.jpeg

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

@HelenREMfan, my late mum and 88 year old dad always loved Honfleur. They regularly rented a small apartment close to the harbour. They loved eating out there, although Dad used to say how expensive it was. It's definitely on my bucket list.

TheoGriff and HelenREMfan like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Honfleur is our regular first stopover on camper van trips south, after taking the early ferry to Calais and stocking up on essentials at the supermarket. Accommodation cost is minimal for us, about 10 Euros, as we use a large overnight parking area about 10 minutes' walk from the harbour. Restaurant prices do vary, but there's affordable harbourside venues. It's a bit like Paris-sur-mer, with some seriously classy art galleries dotted about. Seine cruisers dock there too.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Honfleur always used to be our first major stop-off when I used to run residential trips for Year 8 to Normandy. It is just such a beautiful introduction to France.

TheoGriff and sunshineneeded like this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

upload_2020-4-6_20-5-31.jpeg

[​IMG]
    We have booked to be here in June, but it won't be happening.
    Ria Formosa National park.

10. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    Should have been travelling to Benbecula at some point to visit an old college friend. Maybe get there later in the year.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some gorgeous photos of places which posters think of with great affection. Thank you for showing us these.

My photos are of beautiful #Estepona, the town south of Marbella which, 7 years ago, when it had to re-lay water mains, decided to give the whole town a facelift.

They decided to make it the Garden of the Costa del Sol, putting in at that point 14,000 flowerpots on the walls of 30 or so streets, making all the Old Town streets no-parking zones, most of them pedestrian.

There are now 120 streets renovated, you can wander around going from street to street, with colour-coordinated pots on the walls and large pots on the floor.

They set up a municipal nursery and garden training school, there are teams that go round weeding, trimming, watering and replacing the plants, although the local residents, very proud of their streets, do their bit too.

Because this is the big difference between Estepona and other places like Nerja, Mijas, Marbella with pretty Old Towns. Apart from the fact that Estepona has 7 or 8 times as large an area of flower-laden streets.

These are mainly residential areas, where people quite often live in the house that their parents, grandparents or even great-grandparents lived.

Yes, there is the odd bar, or 3 houses turned into a boutique B&B. Not very many, mind. But the shops there are tiny groceries, small butchers, a fruit shop in someone's front room, only recognisable by the boxes displayed outside. Shops for the residents.

There are two little squares which are restaurant and bar centres, the rest of the catering is in surrounding areas.

It's not like the Old Town or Historic Centre of other places where you get street after street of bar, bar, restaurant, restaurant, tourist-tat shop, bar, bar, restaurant, restaurant, tourist-tat shop.

These two photos are part of my 20,000 strong collection. Just walking around snapping is my favourite activity!

(Tip. If your photo is too big for TES to upload, do a screenshot on a phone or iPad, or a Snip on a computer. The result is usually small enough to upload)

Photos 18 May 2018

FB_IMG_1586236163110.jpg

And another the same day

FB_IMG_1586236155110.jpg

Let's find a third

FB_IMG_1577551180923-01.jpeg

This one is a lovely example. The Town Council buys up abandoned house (the old lady dies, house belongs to 5 sons/daughters, it's not worth much), knocks it down, and makes a pretty little square. Often they can get 2 houses and join two streets, making it easier for walking around.

That photo was December 2019.

Screenshot_20200407-063816_Gallery.jpg

Another little square from old house, with steps down to the next street. April 2019

Screenshot_20200407-063836_Gallery.jpg

April 2019 for this view of the church tower

Screenshot_20200407-064145_Gallery.jpg

Same day as one above, April last year. If you look carefully, you'll see that in this street, some of the pots are red, some spotted.

I could go on... you can work out guided walks, indicating where to turn by the colour of the pots!

And I haven't even talked about the seafront promenade, the marina, the 50+ giant murals around the town...

Screenshot_20200407-064655_Chrome.jpg

I love this one of the little girl watering the real tree.

Ok, I have rather overdone it, I just miss Estepona so much!

But what I most miss is my volunteer teaching in a Primary school. Am doing it online instead, lovely to remain in contact with the children

Best wishes, keep safe

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S. on the 3rd photo, showing a little square with a well in the centre, did you see the ceramic plaque on the wall?

That's part of the Poetry route, where they have poems, some in foreign languages, on the walls around the Old Town. Probably 40 or so.

Screenshot_20200407-065513_Chrome.jpg

This one, in another little house-knock-down square, has a bust of the poet too.

Keep dreaming everybody of all those lovely places all over the world!

13. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

IMG-20190330-WA0009.jpg This time last year I was with family, rather than alone!!! Hmmmm but determined not to dwell on negatives . My daughter took me on a surprise, Mother's Day trip to Verona.

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Lovely pics, @TheoGriff. We have two weeks booked very close to Estepona at the end of July. If we get there (and there's still a small chance), I'm going to make sure I wander round the lovely town. Fingers crossed - if not, we will transfer booking and come next year.

TheoGriff, agathamorse and primarycat like this.
  15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

We had planned to go to Pembrokeshire for a picnic at Barafundle Bay with the in laws and their kids

[​IMG]

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My favourite place in the whole world is......

upload_2020-4-7_9-40-52.jpeg

Maxwell Hill - just outside Taiping in Malaysia - Taiping has lovely lake gardens but Maxwell Hill is fabulous. You have to start very early in the morning (last time I was there I was on the hill at 6 am) because its 9 km of steep switchbacks to the top (and you will be knackered when you get there).

If you set off too late it gets very hot and it invariably rains in the afternoon. But if you love birds and butterflies as I do it is paradise (there are lots of monkeys too - and snakes too actually) not to mention centipedes that look like toilet brushes but it's an amazing place. I've been all the way up to the top twice and got rained off once.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

upload_2020-4-7_9-47-49.jpeg

Here's one of the Butterflies you usually see on the way up..

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Here's the lake gardens - lovely place to spend an afternoon in.

[​IMG] l

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's one more thing about Taiping I forgot to mention.

They also have a small zoo - it's open at night so you can wander round and see the animals in darkness. I've done this too - it's really interesting.[​IMG]

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You do get these things in the Lake Gardens too - they are Asian monitor lizards and they look like Godzilla.

upload_2020-4-7_10-24-55.jpeg

But they are actually harmless.....