1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Dream Kitchen

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by scottjw, Aug 2, 2011.

1. I will soon (end of the year) be moving in to a new house. I am starting from scratch, so everything will have to be bought in. This is a similar kind of thread to a couple of previous, but I thought it may provide some interesting thoughts.
    If you were to move in to a new house now, what would you buy for the kitchen?
    Lets pretend that there is a decent amount of money available, but not go mad. Include electronics, gadgets, utensils, crockery, cutlery...anything appropriate, even your all time most used cookery books.

I am going to use this advice to 'pimp my kitchen' (I shudder at such phrases), so no pressure.
    Thanks

2. I will soon (end of the year) be moving in to a new house. I am starting from scratch, so everything will have to be bought in. This is a similar kind of thread to a couple of previous, but I thought it may provide some interesting thoughts.
    If you were to move in to a new house now, what would you buy for the kitchen?
    Lets pretend that there is a decent amount of money available, but not go mad. Include electronics, gadgets, utensils, crockery, cutlery...anything appropriate, even your all time most used cookery books.

I am going to use this advice to 'pimp my kitchen' (I shudder at such phrases), so no pressure.
    Thanks

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have my dream kitchen (well, as dream as we could afford and it still cost loads!) so I can tell you some of what I have:
    1. Big American fridge/freezer with ice and water dispensers
    2. Aga
    3. Deep pan drawers......marvellous!
    4. Plain white crockery in all shapes and sizes.....square, oblong, triangular, round. All cheap as chips and always matches!
    5. Good lighting
    6. Induction hob....fantastic!
    7. Nice, plain, large wine glasses and lots of them
    8. Champagne saucers and flutes
    9. Martini glasses
    10. Tiny flip down radio/TV/DVD/CD player

ooooh.....I love my kitchen!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

me too!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I also have my dream kitchen (well, almost - still a few bits of gadgetry I'd like but we will have 2 children by the end of the year so it'll have to wait)
    I agree with Belle, that a properly big fridge-freezer is needed - I couldn't physically manage without one.
    I'm not lucky enough to have an Aga (very jealous Belle!) but I have a wonderful range cooker.
    The latest addition is a Magimix that Mr EG (lovely man) bought me last week.
    You want proper non-stick saucepans (try and get the best you can in a range of sizes) and metal utensils (I find that the plastic affect the taste of the food), a couple of proper non-stick baking trays, a sturdy roasting tin, if Beth was around she'd insist upon a slowcooker (actually, has anyone seen her about recently?).
    A proper chopping board is essential too. I use a wooden one for everyday things and I have separate plastic boards for poultry, fish and pork (you could just get away with a separate one).
    I also have massive old reclaimed sleepers in my kitchen made into shelves for my ever-expanding collection of cookbooks.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

split level cooker, decent electric twin oven with 5 burner gas hob, good worktop, granite if poss, I also have 2 marbles slabs for chocolate/fondant and pastry.
    Kenwood chef and magimix, bookcase, table/chair/s, double sink and pref a separate area for laundry.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

My dream kitchen would have a dishwasher, but the washing machine and tumble drier would be elsewhere (preferably upstairs!).

8. ljr

ljr New commenter

My dream kitchen is just about finished, and I think my very favourite part of it is the floor to ceiling 360 degree carousel unit in one corner and another corner unit that includes a 'Le Mans' shelving system that brings both shelves out to me. No more bending down and a beautifully tidy kitchen with all my gadgets easily accessible - wonderful!

9. Double dishwasher - A very posh friend of mine has 2 dishwashers - so she never has to unload, just use the dishes from the clean and load into the other one - what decadence! Also she has a wonderful pull out tray at the top for cutlery- no more silly baskets taking up space!

My other must have is my Kenwood mixer which my mum bought in 1952 and I use it at least four times a week! Classic.

10. This is all very good. So far I have decided an 'American' fridge freezer is a must, along with the plain white crockery of different shapes and sizes.
    I would love an aga, but fear it may be out of my price range at the moment. One for the future.

What I really want to know about now is all the little stuff, things you use every day and couldn't live without. Things you take for granted.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If you are talking about the little gadgets to put in the kitchen. Things I haven't had many years and would miss if they were taken away now are:
    • my microplane grater
    • my mezzaluna - great for chopping herbs, chocolate, nuts, you name it!
    My hand whisk is an essential. I don't have room for a food mixer but my hand whisk is great for cakes, meringues and all the things that make life sweet. I have had the same one for nearly 20 years now but don't like to replace it after the good service it has given!

12. egyptgirl

What couldn't I live without in my kitchen...good knives, box grater, my stock pot (I don't just use it for stock), hand whisk (I agree with bombay) and my stick blender.

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Large knife, small knife, serrated knife, boning knife, cleaver, poultry shears, swivel peeler, hand-held grater (use for parmesan, zest and nutmeg), potato-ricer, mandoline, stock-pot, mouli-legumes, sieves both fine and coarse...

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

...spice grinder, huge granite pestle and mortar, salad spinner...

15. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I absolutely love my range cooker - not an Aga (out of the price range) but a lovely 90cm, 5 ring, dual-fuel, two oven Belling. Fab!
    I also love my Dualit Hand Blender pack (http://www.dualit.com/products/hand-blender) - some of the online reviews are a bit negative but I've never had any problems with it. Fab for baking.
    Why not invest in some really good Le Creuset casseroles too?
    My number 1 kitchen feature is the clothes pulley, though - invaluable in winter for drying washing! We've painted it gloss red to match the wall :).
    Have fun!

16. Like what nick said...
    a zester, a cherry stoner, maslin pan, funnels, thermometer, woodens spoons, muslin material, brighty coloured plastic spatulas, cooling racks, muffin tins, cake tins of various sizes, pie tins ditto, a little purple scrapy thing (possibly for dough but gets used for cleaning all sorts) and my professional cutting boards.
    Oh! silicone baking sheets!!!

And not forgetting the dining room hutch for all the things that should be in the kitchen but don't fit because of all the gadgets [​IMG]

17. egyptgirl

Known as the utility room in my house! Really must get round to sorting it out...

18. beautiful ceramic bowls, really soft flexible spatulas, morter and pestle, oil drizzle caps, and fresh herbs on the windowsill.

But what I have been looking for for ages is a conical sieve with partial solid sides - anyone know where I can get one?