1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Classroom

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

If I was coming into your classroom as part of a monitoring task, what could I expect to see within your classroom?

2. Children!

3. Well, I work in Year 5 in a large school. We have undertaken the big step to implement Creative Curriculum and our new topic is about space. So, here are ten things you would see in my classroom now.
    1. A spaceship (school is really in to role play for KS2, but my room is the only one big enough to have a good role play!)
    2. Children (obv)
    3. Glitter from before Christmas - very hard to pick up / hoover with the carpet!
    4. A tidy desk (give me until 4pm tomorrow and it'll once again be strewn with paper)
    5. A reading area, where the children can choose books to read from proper bookshelves, and take a comfy seat
    6. An illuminated globe - the children broke the school one before Christmas, so I went to Rymans and bought a new one for £15
    7. Several working walls
    8. A working brick for my SEN table
    9. An experimental area - phrases, connectives, punctuation on the wall; the children make sentences out of them for their work as WOW phrases.
    10. A lot of active learning. I'm currently introducing active learning styles with the times tables and by gosh it is working with the most unlikely of children, including SEN children!

And finally, but definitely not least of all, my TA and I, working calmly with the children! I can't wait to go back!

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

That has been really helpful..thank you so much. Can you please tell me more about your active learning and times tables please?