1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your Christmas reading list

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I was looking at the other Christmas thread and it seems I am not alone in looking forward to the chance to spend a couple days over Christmas with a good book in hand.

What are you thinking of reading?

I'm going to go for, A God in Ruins (Kate Atkinson) which has spectacular reviews, Guantanamo Diary (Mohamedou Ould Slahi) and a few Tess Gerritsen or similar sort for some lighter reading.

Cannot wait. Fire on, no thinking about work/stuff to do, just cosy fire, cuppa and a good book. I intend to while away many an hour like this.

2. dominant_tonic

wile even.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I haven't made any plans about Christmas reading but that new Kate Atkinson sounds interesting. I have recently downloaded The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro and The Girl With No Past by Kathryn Croft. The thing that I love about my kindle is that I don't need to plan. New books are instantly available!

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I have really enjoyed all the Kate Atkinson books, and wasn't aware of this one, so will look out for it!

For cosiness, I sometimes re-read 'A Christmas Carol', or other ghost stories by Dickens, or Wilkie Collins..

Edit: I suppose I'll have to get a kindle or somesuch since the library cuts and closures.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Just finished "Life and Life" by Kate Atkinson...... I really enjoyed it !

6. dominant_tonic

I've never come across her before, but this book was in the Guardian I think it was for some type of best reads of 2015 type article. I looked at it on Amazon then, and the reviews are good, so I will try it definitely.

The girl with no past looks good too, may have to look into that one.

I have a kindle, but can't honestly say I enjoy it. This Christmas reading it is going to be real books, if that is, I can get to a bookshop at some point, or I will have to 'kindle them'. I don't actively dislike the kindle, but always find myself defaulting to books, though the convenience side of it cannot be argued with.

Wish I enjoyed the classics, I feel like I ought to, but never do, so am quite jealous cissy3!

cissy3 likes this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

A God in Ruins is great - particularly if you liked Life after Life - fills in some interesting blanks.
    The Buried Giant - I enjoyed but you need to persevere.

8. Grabthar

Grabthar Established commenter

I'll be reading 'Mein Strumpf'.

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sorry. I think Kate Atkinson is going downhill.

I may just have to recommence my Dickens marathon. That's a Dickens, A N Other, Dickens, A N Other etc etc etc. Plus I really ought to read Zola. I haven't and he's being so hyped at the moment.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Germinal is worth a read - Zola is being hyped?

12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I actually bought some books the other day. I did have a little splurge a few weeks ago on poetry but I haven't bought or read a book at the rate I used to do for over five years now.

I need unemployment and to get back to reading a novel a day like I used to do. I'm building my library of films at present and have close to a thousand on an external hard drive with another hard drive waiting to be filled but, the thousands of books still stand in boxes while I'm working on my six large bookcases.

I'm also getting an ear-bashing to get on and write the novel but it won't happen until I'm free of work.

Anyway, these were my purchases on Friday from the Salvation Army. I used to go down when I'd cashed my giro and buy fourteen a fortnight and read them as well. Now I have money due to steady employment I can't find the energy for the literary life. Marx said stuff about this.

These are those Friday books and they won't get read for a good while yet.

Umberto Eco 'Baudolino'
    Dai Sijie 'Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress'
    Alice Sebold 'Lucky'
    Bret Easton Ellis 'The Rules Of Attraction'
    Sebastian Faulks 'A Week In December'
    Peter Carey 'The Tax Inspector'
    Pat Barker 'Life Class' (just realised I already have a copy and read it years ago)
    'The Words Of Gilbert And George' by the artists themselves.

sparkleghirl and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've just read this it's very good. You need to have read Life after Life first.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Zola is all over Radio 4. A mash-up starring Glenda Jackson! Epic.

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I felt like a right fraud reading this dom ton! I generally don't get on with Dickens, apart from those I mentioned! If I'm honest, I mainly read psychological thrillers and stuff.

But I have more books than I know what to do with, so I sometimes re-read them, and this may include some of the classics. :D

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'll just keep slogging through the 4 shelves of books I have unread, my backlog.

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thank you @dominant_tonic. As a result of this thread I now have a Christmas reading plan which includes rereading Life after Life then A God in Ruins. I am a Dickens fanatic so I might have to read Bleak House again too. I hope they rerun some of the BBC Dickens adaptations over the holidays.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

In the American Grain: William Carlos Williams
    Collected Works: Guillaume Apollinaire

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Still working my way through the Biggles novels.

Currently on Biggles Fails To Return.

That's lowered the average reading age of this thread by a fair percentage :)

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Whatever is free or less than £2 in the Kindle store.

grumpydogwoman and InkyP like this.