1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your children's teacher.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Sep 13, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I read that as a golden retriever.[​IMG]

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Your assessment is an absolute rather than a relative judgement

3. When my daughter was in Y1 I didn't like her teacher - the previous year she was put on the G&T register and then in Y1 my first parents' evening was a litany of things she couldn't do and didn't do. (In fact it was "she can't even do such-and-such...") I was aggrieved and upset and worried but it didn't really matter, we did things at home, as we'd always done, and school was mostly just social, really. There's nothing you can do about it, and what does her teacher's assessment matter to anything? It's not SATS year (they may not even exist by the time your girl gets to Y6!) and if she really is too good for the bottom table then it will soon be obvious to all and she will move up again.
    The year will flash by and she will probably get someone new next year. It's good training for life. Sometimes you have to work with or be managed by someone you dislike or find incompetent, and you just have to get on with it.
    And maybe things will stabilise in a bit, it's very early days as far as this academic year goes!

4. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

I know which makes it harder to try and voice concerns to the teacher.

Thanks Rusty. You are probably right. I worry I am a mother I am allowed. Also don't want her to fall back. I want her to be pushed to her potential. You have eased my worries somewhat - and you are right about the life lesson.

5. My girls have had fantastic teachers for the past two academic years. Both are stretched and challenged and are working 2 or 3 years ahead of their actual year in school.
    One thing that I feel is especially good is the communication channels the schools have and the openness they treat us parents with. The catchment area is very, how shall I say, mixed and there are departments within the schools for speech/language and ASC students so my girls get to mix, regularly, with children with a variety of backgrounds and difficulties. There is a big part of me that thinks that the life skills they learn from this are what I send them to school for - I can tackle the academic bits myself.
    I'd be keeping a bit of an eye towards your daughter's education and have a quiet, informal chat with the teacher now and then if your worries persist.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I can't offer any useful advice - except my sympathy! I don't seem to be able to get it right with my children's teachers at all - some of whom I get on with, and some of whom I am sure can't bear me! There's only been one year (for son no.1) where he has made the sort of progress I would expect - and (this was last year) this was when he had a teacher who really likes to keep parents at arms' length. Because little one has special needs, we had a meeting, where I told him that I don't hear him read when he's being difficult (and homeworks too), and said how much I wanted there to be a positive relationship between me and him. After that, we had a fantastic year!
    So I suppose my advice is: take a deep breath and try and take the long term view. They've a long old time in school to go yet.

7. What I don't like in this thread is the self-satisfaction of the parent ( aka a teacher anyway presumably), is bravely letting their kid go to school in which they are dis-satisfied, but hey-ho, keep low, and we will put the missing jam in the sandwich, because after all we are teachers.
    How about addressing the issue for the rest of the blighters with the same problem that don't have access to the text book national curriculum or foresight of the exams?????

8. essentiallyprincess

Not dis-satisfied with the school at all. Love the school to bits. I am 'thinking' but not sure if I am dis-satisfied with the teacher. Although it is possible for me to make her catch up academically in theory our relationship would suffer in my view. I didn't take my mothers advice academically and my daughter won't take mine. Far easier for me to teach 30 strangers kids than one of my own. As for what input I do get from the teacher in question is that my daughter is a friendly helpful and polite girl - yep I can teach her that. My concerns her academic progress.

It is great to hear others points of view though. Both making me think do something - but not yet - don't over think -etc etc.

9. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

I find the worst children to teach are those whose parents work in education. Usually at a different school, often 'know it alls'. I think a prime example of this was the daughter of a teaching assistant a few years ago. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    How on earth do you know this, exactly?

10. essentiallyprincess

She has told me. They know their tables. I wish they didn't but they do. Something I have had to accept.

That is another one of my worries. Going in to 'complain' or however you want to put it feels awkward. Like I am saying look I know what you are supposed to do and you are not doing it right. That is why I say a 'teaching degree' feels like a hindrance. My gut instinct at this point is to not trust that she is a teacher who can hide her favourites and un-favourites. The jury is still out but another worry is if I upset her by challenging her in a way that makes me look a 'know it all' she will take it out my daughter.

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Go as a mum and not as a teacher. Why would she 'take it out' on your daughter?

12. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Well she must be stupid, if that is the case.
    I say as little as possible to parents about how I organise/run my classroom. Especially interfering busy body types who are likely to complain at the drop of a hat. Frankly it's none of their business. Top table indeed.

13. essentiallyprincess

She probably wouldn't it is probably me being paranoid. I think I am going to go if I can't see any sign of improvement before half term. Give a couple of weeks to settle in then go and ask her how things are going.

14. essentiallyprincess

My daughter told me. My daughter is not stupid.

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Children know. I knew when I was at school. Who didn't? It doesn't take a genius to work out who the bright kids are and which children struggle. We can give them all sorts of different names but you ask any child in any class which is the "top" table and I'd lay money on them knowing.

16. essentiallyprincess

Yep it took me a long time to accept it. I wish they didn't but they do.

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's how life is. I remember knowing as a child. I didn't feel superior because I was on the top table but I do wonder how those on the " bottom" table felt about it.

18. essentiallyprincess

Well my daughter is feeling confused and angry. She is not with her 'peers' in the respect that she is now on a different table. She knows she has moved down.

19. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't go in and complain exactly, but it seems to me that something
    needs to be said. Couldn't you have a chat with the teacher and ask
    her what level your daughter is working at and what she needs to do to
    progress? Ask her to be specific, and maybe offer to do what you can
    at home to help (which I'm sure you do anyway!). That way you won't
    sound like a "know it all", just a concerned parent. Hopefully you will
    find out the justification for your daughter's change of maths group.
    Her teacher could have changed the seating plan for any number of
    reasons but you won't know until you ask. Hope you get it sorted
    anyway. [​IMG]

20. If you do decide to talk to the teacher about this... maybe the least threatening way is to start by checking whether your daughters assumptions about the ability level tables is correct (ie that they are being arranged by ability level, and that she has moved table - no need to say how far you suspect),
    Then, maybe you can ask if there is anything she is particularly struggling with and if there is anything you can do at home to help her improve? (that way, you'll have information to work on - either some maths, or advice to your daughter to demonstrate the knowledge she already has when the teacher is looking!) and in either case, you hopefully have avoided confrontation.
    Edit: And I see loodle1 has made a very similar comment!