1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Your child needs to come with me for a bath.”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 17, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

"...There is no one process. Judging from the mothers and fathers I’ve spoken to and those my staff has spoken to, there are several different processes. Sometimes they will tell the parent, “We’re taking your child away.” And when the parent asks, “When will we get them back?” they say, “We can’t tell you that.” Sometimes the officers will say, “because you’re going to be prosecuted” or “because you’re not welcome in this country,” or “because we’re separating them,” without giving them a clear justification. In other cases, we see no communication that the parent knows that their child is to be taken away. Instead, the officers say, “I’m going to take your child to get bathed.” That’s one we see again and again. “Your child needs to come with me for a bath.” The child goes off, and in a half an hour, twenty minutes, the parent inquires, “Where is my five-year-old?” “Where’s my seven-year-old?” “This is a long bath.” And they say, “You won’t be seeing your child again.” Sometimes mothers—I was talking to one mother, and she said, “Don’t take my child away,” and the child started screaming and vomiting and crying hysterically, and she asked the officers, “Can I at least have five minutes to console her?” They said no. In another case, the father said, “Can I comfort my child? Can I hold him for a few minutes?” The officer said, “You must let them go, and if you don’t let them go, I will write you up for an altercation, which will mean that you are the one that had the additional charges charged against you.” So, threats. So the father just let the child go."

Is this describing some kind of terrible scene from World War Two? Nope. It's Texas in 2018.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/whats-really-happening-asylum-seeking-families-separated/

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

This is almost too horrible to read.

JL48 likes this.
  3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

It is shocking, I've become aware of it because a North American friend has been post links about the horrific situation.

They - the Trump administration - are using the Bible as a justification.

sabrinakat and JL48 like this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I read about this, it's sickening.

JL48 likes this.
  5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    monicabilongame and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

We've lost all sense of humanity. It's horrific.

8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Sadly, this is very true. A toxic "hostile environment" has spread right across the West. Its own policies create tidal waves of refugees by bringing into being massive "push" and "pull" factors, and then the politicians demonise the migrants as "intruders" and worse.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

upload_2018-6-17_23-10-25.jpeg

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Nope.

The US is becoming the shitiest country in the Western world.

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

The world would be a better place without him.

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I think Trump is a symptom rather than the cause. You only have to look at the resentment towards immigrants in UK and Europe. If it weren't Trump it would be someone else.

kibosh, JL48 and CraigCarterSmith like this.
  13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can’t believe that is going on in the new millennium. A very upsetting read. Someone needs to challenge them on the breaches of human rights and International law.

monicabilongame and FrankWolley like this.
  14. FrankWolley

Yes, but he is a focus and inspiration for many of those groups - they see that the US, a nation built on immigration - can be xenophobic, and it gives them great encouragement (and look at what Bannon is doing - does Trump not know & approve;))

15. FrankWolley

Trump will just ignore those rules, or remove the US from them...:mad:

16. FrankWolley

Here's an article about what the long term effect of this sort of policy can be:

Nazis separated me from my parents as a child. The trauma lasts a lifetime
    I know from experience that the Trump-sanctioned brutality at the US border with Mexico will scar its child victims for life

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ion-children-parents-families-us-border-trump

My grief and anger about today’s southern border come not just from my personal life. As a retired psychotherapist who has worked extensively with victims of childhood trauma, I know all too well what awaits many of the thousands of children, taken by our government at the border, who are now in “processing centers” and foster homes – no matter how decent and caring those places might be. We can expect thousands of lives to be damaged, for many years or forever, by “zero tolerance”. We can expect old men and women, decades from now, still suffering, still remembering, still writing in the present tense.

What is happening in our own backyard today is as evil and criminal as what happened to me and my siblings as children in Nazi Europe. It needs to be stopped immediately.

17. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

A timely podcast from Malcolm Gladwell, (Revisionist History Series 3) that argues that until the US started enforcing it's Mexican border, it didn't have a illegal migrant problem:

LinkedIn

"Good fences make good neighbors. Or maybe not."

General Leonard Chapman guided the Marines Corp through some of the most difficult years in its history. He was brilliant, organized, decisive and indefatigable. Then he turned his attention to the America’s immigration crisis. You think you want effective leadership? Be careful what you wish for.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/25-general-chapman's-last-stand

The main thrust being, the more difficult you make crossing a border, the more likely migrants are to stay longer.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Separating children from parents is immoral [unless the parent is demonstrable risk to the child's safety - then treat as a social services protection issue]. Detain both together in good conditions while their repatriation can be determined. If they are claiming asylum then process the claim.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Maybe I'm not quite grasping your point here but... do you not have fencing around your back garden?

20. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

The podcast blurb was, in part, quoting a Robert Frost poem called 'Mending Wall', the point being that enforcing walls doesn't necessarily bring about what is intended. Listen to the podcast and see if you agree.

FrankWolley likes this.