1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your chance to name some new planets.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 13, 2015.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. At last. At a glance I shall be able to assess the probable social class of a planet.

3. tidal

tidal New commenter

As a mumsnet poster I find that comment offensive

ly funny [​IMG]

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Dave? Can we call them all Dave?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Nowhere near scientific enough. It would have to be Dave Alpha Sigma B4#56 or summat

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Thing 1, Thing 2.......

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

<h3>Fomalhaut b (alpha Piscis Austrini b)</h3>
    &ldquo;Over the years, I have seen that my HST image of Fomalhaut&rsquo;s dust belt evokes a mystical reaction from the public, in large part because it resembles a giant eye. Thus the semantics behind a Fomalhaut b name could refer to concepts such as eyes, visions, or dreams.

&ldquo;My personal background is that both my parents were born and raised on the island of Crete. Therefore if you wanted to indirectly reference me as the discoverer of Fomalhaut b, you could find a reference to Greek mythology or history.

&ldquo;I would propose the name &ldquo;Phantasos&rdquo;, one of the dream gods. This is because Fomalhaut b has a certain debatable, uncertain, and personal quality about it, like a dream.

&ldquo;Also, in the science history of Fomalhaut b, three years after I announced the discovery in late 2008, other scientists and journalists developed a mass hysteria against the very existence of Fomalhaut b. In essence they were telling me that I must be dreaming, that Fomalhaut b is not real.

&ldquo;Of course Fomalhaut b is now confirmed, yet the story illustrates the tension between objective reality and what one might wish to be true, as in a dream. You could say that in 2012 Fomalhaut b was considered a &ldquo;phantom&rdquo; exoplanet by many. Eventually they would find that my dream was true after all.&rdquo;

Paul Kalas

Sounds like he had a bit of a nightmare, so how about Phobetor?

8. He's no stranger to over-thinking a subject, is he.