1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your (brutally!!) honest opinion of mixing YR & Y1 in the same class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thinkingofteaching, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hi- This is re my son- I was hoping for advice.
    He goes to a small village school with approx 80 children- reception have always been on their own, but from Sep (dut to him being in a particulalrly large cohort) some Y1 will remain in 'class 1' with YR. He manages fine- his teacher told us at parents evening in feb he should meet all EYFS profile targets fine (although he got off to a slow start, esp in phonics). He has a late summer birthday (end May). I have TOTAL faith in his YR teacher who is fab- I just wanted the brutally honest experiences of teachers who have taught this mixed age group before.
    As he will have attained the EYFS targets I wondered what you do with Y1 children whilst you go back to the start with phonics in 'whole class' sessions (they learned a sound a day- he is confidently reading simple reading books independently now- level "2A if that means anything??).
    Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I think as long as it is well planned everything should be ok. We are a small village school and have all of KS1 in one class. It does work.

3. Thanks that's reassuring!
    I think its just me who can't get my head around it as I've never seen it.

4. That makes a lot of sense- the school have just moved to 'vertical groupings' for phonics- this must be why. Sounds like they have it well planned out and I'm stressing over nothing. Thanks for replying :)

5. I'm confused by you last comment about him reading, 2A is end of YR2!!! yet the rest of the post says he is in line with ELG???

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

read write inc reading books are labelled 1a,b,c etc so it could be a book from a scheme like that.

7. Yes! Sorry It's reading scheme levels not NC levels!! Thanks for responding.