1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your biggest worry about CfE

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by bigjimmy2, Feb 2, 2016.

1. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

For me it's simply the decline in standards across the board, educationally and psychologically.
    We are now teaching secure and confident individuals (etc) for sure, but that security and confidence (etc) is built on very shaky foundations indeed.
    I, personally, am seeing more and more incapable pupils who just can't do anything for themselves.

In my opinion CfE's legacy is going to be horrific for far too many pupils.
    Alternatively, has my doom'n'gloom attitude always been there amongst teachers?

Alice K likes this.
  2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I think the tide will turn Jim and maybe sooner than we think (parent power is growing stronger and that can only help us). Teachers always are doom+gloom as we want out wee kiddies to do better - teachers who don't care should be kicked out, so keep on with the doom+gloom!!

Alice K and bigjimmy2 like this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Jon, "out wee kiddies"? Surely shum mishtake?!

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

People always hate the new curriculum/exams.
    N4 needs to change and my biggest concern is that we're dumping kids in N4 so that schools can boast about 100% pass rates at N5.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

We have the opposite - kids getting pushed up to N5 when they have no hope of a pass, because SLT hopes they'll somehow scrape a D and boost the school's overall points.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

In August we had a number of pupils complaining (god forbid) that they were doing N4, supported by a few parents who took the attitude of how dare my offspring be doing a diddy course.

I even had one pupil whose parents insisted that he be moved out of my largely N4 class because he was "far too good" for that class - he got a grand total of 26% in the recent prelim. This means that he would have to improve his marks by over half just to scrape a D.

Others got as much as 4%.

CfE is working in the respect that we have confident pupils. Confident but thick. Twas always thus.

Moderation in Moderation.

Potatoes005 likes this.
  7. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

I have a real issue with the number of subjects without a meaningful exam.
    PE, Music, Admin, Tech, Drama you can almost have passed without any formal exam, in fact some do not feature in the May exam diet. What we now have is teachers dragging, pushing, pulling kids through the coursework and they end up with a pass. The teacher is under pressure to get good N5 results and they do. (read freakenomics to see why teachers cheat)
    We are then left with a bunch of kids with N5 passes but not the skills, they have nowhere to go but into the higher course. Teachers are then left with pupils that do not have the capacity or skill to work/study and it is then somehow the teachers fault that these kids are failing. it is a sick joke.

Potatoes005 likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Agreed.

Would have gone from SG to Int2.

Now we have N5 Grade Ds doing Higher and when we point out to "management" that a lot of such pupils are clearly incapable of doing Higher they just tell you get on with it, with patronising comments like "see how they do".

Then your behaviour management skills are called into question when one of these pupils tells you to "***** off"* when you ask them for their homework.

* I'll get into trouble with big Rosaline again for disguising a wee sweary. Ach well.

Moderation in Moderation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
    Potatoes005 likes this.
  9. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

I 'recommend', strongly in some cases, that pupils with shocking marks in the lower school pick something else that they might actually get a Nat 5 in. As for moving onto higher I 'recommend' a minimum B in my subject and maths. Same for Advanced Higher. If SMT do question my guidance I will point to those few who have insisted on getting on a course or sitting the exam (instead of just getting a Nat 4) and still failed miserably.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

When did a D start counting as a pass? Yet again, it's due to the woeful inadequacy of N4 to sufficiently cover the range of ability for those who cannot pass (A-C) N5.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

A "D" is less than 50% so if you get less than 50% you've learned less than half of what you've been taught. That's why I consider "D" to be a fail. I tell my pupils that as well.

I wrote elsewhere that N5 Grade Ds are doing Higher and utterly messing it up because it's far beyond them: an educational disgrace.

12. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

I would be quite happy if they got rid of D's