1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your biggest Regret.......did you solve it?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by mountainman2017, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mountainman2017

mountainman2017 New commenter

I know we all try to not live with regret as you certainly cannot change the past........wouldn't that be awesome. Looking back at your career and life, what is your biggest regret?
    If I am being honest, my biggest regret...ssss. Are that I didn't take time when I was at school going over the different types of jobs I could have trained for. I just took the first job that came to me and went with it. I wish I'd sat down and studied an area of different types of jobs. I tell my students now to work hard so they develop flexibility of employment. We work in our jobs 8-12 hours each day, so we'd better enjoy our work... I also wish I'd save for my retirement..... but hey ho, we can't change the past.
    I look forward to your answers.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  2. Nebka

Nebka New commenter

Staying in the same school far too long! 24 years and not planning my career development early ! Still I loved teaching and have very fond memories.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  3. giotto

giotto New commenter

I had a job, teaching, which was what I wanted to do. To me it was a job -not a career. I hated being asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?" type questions. I wish I had had the courage to answer such questions honestly- I hope I still have a job teaching..... preferably still in this school as I like it here..... I have no interest in climbing up the greasy pole of "success"......I want to teach, not be a manager or administrator or observer and analyser of other teachers (unless it's to help me find different/better ways of teaching)..... I want to teach......not be a "facilitator of anybody's learning"...... and, above all, I want to be engaged in the business of 'teaching and learning' instead of the newspeak which insisted on 'learning and teaching' in that order.
    I spent 35 years teaching in the same school and loved it. I certainly don't regret staying there, though teaching has been ruined in the last 10 - 15 years because of the "god of data" etc.
    I regret that I didn't learn early enough to say no to things/people and to call out the emperor on his new clothes - I did do this, but only once I'd reached the stage where I knew the worst "they" could do was sack me and it wouldn't have been the end of the world if they had done so. But, perhaps, that kind of plain speaking is only a luxury for those who are older and don't desperately need the job.
    I regret that I spent too much time on my job at the expense of time spent with family and friends. I left last June and am thoroughly enjoying life outside the classroom. No matter how dedicated to the job/school you are it only takes 3 years away and the majority of pupils won't know who you are.

4. Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty Occasional commenter

I should have spent more of my time on enjoying life instead of ridiculously worthless school paperwork!
    And you know what...it would have made me an even better teacher too....

5. mountainman2017

so in the end you still had a great time

jlishman2158 and Nebka like this.
  6. mountainman2017

Yes, I got caught up in the time consuming ever mountain paperwork.

jlishman2158 and Lord Snooty like this.
  7. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

I don't regret at all spending my whole teaching career within one establishment. Every school changes out of all recognition over time. The job I began in 1971 came with very different expectations and challenges relative to the one I retired from in 2008.

I think with the benefit of hindsight that I would tell my younger self that changing circumstances will inevitably cause pain and anxiety in the short term but lead to fresh opportunities and better prospects in the long term. Making the best of things can promote the thick skin and resilience we need to get through life's hard knocks. And that it's OK now and again to say "no" to people in authority and to drop one or more of the many plates we end up spinning on their sticks each day. And that the wide, noble perspective of unlocking young people's potential through education can so often be clouded, rather than illuminated, by petty politicking and paperwork.

8. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

No regrets with my career. Most was enjoyable bar one stint of 6 months, but I escaped from that back to London....... Enjoyment did go out of the window in the last 8 or so years where everything was about data and improvement.
    Main regret was not shopping a colleague who was inappropriately touching youngsters, lots of people knew but was never tackled. Said person was eventually convicted and sentenced.
    Also not blowing whistle on an entire maths department working through completed course work and making changes.
    However I did report serious exam malpractice at a CofE academy where suddenly almost 100 students needed a reader/scribe for the RE exam!!!
    Maybe if I have any regrets it is not retiring sooner. Life is too short and this is not a dress rehearsal.

frangipani123 and eljefeb90 like this.
  9. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

Regrets, I've had a few, but then again to few to mention......
    ..I did it myyyyyyyyy way!

sally90 and jacob like this.
  10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I'd have liked to have been an assasin. Jobs never dry up (well maybe if you bury them in a desert).

jlishman2158 likes this.
  11. mountainman2017

sounds like not too many regrets

12. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

I don't think I have too many regrets because I have tried to learn from mistakes and I do not believe it does you any good keep mulling over the past.

lindenlea and mountainman2017 like this.
  13. mountainman2017

A nice way to look at life

thistledoo likes this.
  14. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

The decisions we made back then (whenever it was) were made with the knowledge and information we had at the time. If we had our time again we'd make the same decisions - unless we made them with the toss of a coin.
    You can learn from your mistakes but you can't change them. So as you say chewing the mistakes over is in itself a mistake.

thistledoo likes this.
  15. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Well said.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Nah! I've made the best of any "mistakes" and got on with life. We're human, we make mistakes. If we get too frightened of making mistakes we don't really live our lives - I have known people like that. My friend says "You can't live your life backwards." and I agree with that. As the sand starts to run pretty quickly through this life timer I do find I have become more careful about how I spend my time and do fewer things I should, and more that I want to - but I'm a very lucky woman at present.

thistledoo likes this.
  17. sally90

sally90 Occasional commenter

No regrets-actually sheer relief at having made a right decision. I too spent most of my career in the same school,and by default I could have ended up as Head because that's how it seemed to happen in our place years ago!! I saw the writing on the wall a LONG while ago and stepped down from my SLT post.Family responsibilities at the time were the main reason behind my decision,but when I see the sheer volume of responsibility and workload heaped on SLT now I thank Heaven that I did what I did when I did.

eljefeb90 and thistledoo like this.
  18. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I regret not finding the right kind of school (for me) to work in. I spent too long in state Comprehensives where there were big discipline issues (21 years). I realise that some people thrive in these kind of schools. It nearly drove me up the wall to the point where I was going to leave teaching, sell my house and live on a boat.
    Luckily in 2001 I secured a good overseas job in a good overseas British School.
    Since then I have sent the last 16 years in fee paying overseas British schools, where the focus is not so much n behaviour but on teaching children who are keen to learn. on the whole this has been much more rewarding.
    I regret not doing this sooner (or finding a similar school/s in the UK)

I also have 1 or 2 major life regrets, but won't post these here :eek::mad:

19. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Occasional commenter

Moi, non, je ne regrette rien.

thistledoo likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The only thing I really regret was not having a dignified ending to my teaching career. Over the years, I have watched many retiring friends and colleagues make faltering speeches and self-consciously receive their leaving presents on the last day of term. I would have liked this for myself, too. Instead, like so many these days, ruthless academy management and ill health brought it to an premature end: no 'closure', as the Yanks might say. Obviously, there is nothing I can do to solve this.

eljefeb90 likes this.