1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your best lesson...EVER!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissBoom, Sep 7, 2010.

1. MissBoom

MissBoom New commenter

Hello,

with OFTSTED looming, I was just interested in finding out what your 'best lesson EVER' was...in any topic/subject! It would be great to hear some exciting ideas and know what made your classroom electric! :) Perhaps you were even observed to be oustanding...

If want to contact me directly with anything, my email address is jenni.philbin@live.com

Thank you

2. forestje

forestje New commenter

It was a maths lesson on bar charts in Year 3.Everyone had a pack of smarties which they tipped out onto a paper plate. In a nutshell everyone had a worksheet to fill in with a table of results and a bar chart which had been fully explained and examples shown on the carpet during the intro on the WB.
    As I moved round the room I looked at the inspector who seemed to be smothering his laughter.The child next to him was throughly enjoying eating her smarties!
    I have repeated the lesson in subsequent years and the lesson has gone really well.

3. inq

inq

Y5/6 Science/ PSHE lesson on micro-organisms and why we should wash our hands. It was several years ago and I can't remember exact LO.
    I mixed some glitter with some vegetable oil, pretended to sneeze into my hands, said ugh and rubbed my hands together (with oil/ glitter mix on them) picked up a pen and a ruler and got the children to pass these round, shook hands with children and got them to shake hands with others - the glitter was representing the germs/ micro-organisms. Some of the children then went to the toilets to wash their hands and returned. They were horrified to see the glitter on door handles, backs of chairs etc. They cleaned up the classroom but they'd still suddenly see another bit of glitter.
    It really worked at getting them to see how germs were spread to places they didn't realise that they had touched!

4. ing, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that lesson idea and will definately be nicking it!!

5. I've done the same, with green hand wash...sufficiently snotty green to be disgusting.[​IMG] Also, when a long line of children had shaken hands, by the end of the line they could not see any sign of the liquid, but could be smelt on the skin so they knew that it can be passed on without it being seen.

6. The children could make a volcanoe from play dough if your short on time. Put bicarbonate of soda at the botom. Children then pour vingear into the bottom. They react and cause a massive spillage over the edge.

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Year 4, lesson on finding the area of shapes. Started with a witch-themed Maths IWB game, kids coming up to have a turn, me trying to act all scary and witch-like in the hope of holding my class's attention! Had an all-singing, all-dancing presentation, with a groundsman of a football club needing to buy new turf for a football pitch, so required children to find the area. Then the kids had their own shapes to find the area of. Plenary was Mrs Sillow being "clever" and having some shapes on the board with the areas written on, chldn were quick to point out the (deliberate) mistakes and they were corrected with everyone pitching in.
    Ofsted thought it was outstanding. Doesn't sound particularly interesting, I know, but who knows what they're looking for sometimes! Let me know if you want me to email lesson plan/SMART Notebook file.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about putting them in the resources section?

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Just to chip in with something that was apparent during our last inspection (about a year ago):
    OFSTED aren't as interested with all-singing, all-dancing, 'wow-factor' lessons as they used to be. Thank God. In fact, minimal input is key.
    They are simply looking to see engaged children all making progress, with clear support, structure and challenge to ensure that they make as much progress as possible within a lesson.
    An outstanding lesson can still just involve children working in their books as well.

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

The thought never even crossed my mind! Goodness knows why not. Am off to do it now!

11. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

12. oglandia

oglandia New commenter

Wonderful. Love to have a copy please - alisonq67@gmail.com

13. oglandia

oglandia New commenter

oops - just noticed it's done..

14. Pure genius!

15. Your lesson sounds exactly the lesson I need to motivate a class of very low ability pupils. I would be very gratefaul if you would e-mail it to me.
    Thank you
    Jill

16. Hello. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm teaching a year 4 class this year and woud be gratef if you could Email me your lesson plans & smart board resources. Thanx

17. We did cooking for a maths lesson (in yr2). Split into groups, each group given a biscuit recipe, ingredients, a pan balance and lots of 100g and 10g weights - had to use their knowledge of place value to weigh the ingredients, had to 'divide' the mix into the correct number of equal parts, temperature of oven, timing them cooking as well as reading the recipe, working together as a team etc etc. Worked amazingly well and they could all talk about what they had learnt. Wished someone had been watching!

18. Totally brilliant. I've just moved from KS3/4 to KS2 Science and will be doing micro-organisms in a fortnight from now. I can't wait to pull this stunt. They'll love it! And if they won't, I will.
    Many thanks!