1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by misstalented, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Hello everyone,
    This is my first time posting, though I have been a member for some time an contributed resources, so please bear with me if the format is not perfect! I am looking for advice for a colleague. The situation is a little complex, but here goes...
    My friend works at an independent school currently inspected via Ofsted, but according to the Headteacher, shortly transferring to the ISC. The Headteacher is apparently retiring shortly, meaning applications are open for the Headship and the successful candidate will take up the position in September. The current Head is to become a governor, as apparently this is a requirement from Oftsed. Is he correct or merely trying yet again to abuse his power? I have trawled Ofsted and found no evidence that this is true.
    My colleague does not have a PGCE but the Head has also informed him that the ISC have stated he must have one and a full degree (not the HND he has) to be able to apply for the job as Headteacher. Is this correct? Again I have trawled the ISC website and found no evidence that this is true.
    Additionally the Head is a manipulative person, who surrounds himself with women through whom he can still be in power. Undoubtedly this is his aim here. He is currently putting as many roadblocks as possible in front of my friend even applying for the position and weighting the process in favour of his considerably less able female co-workers. Provided documentary evidence can be compiled, does this qualify as discrimination? Can it be challenged?
    Thank you for your help and advice. I do appreciate it immensely.

2. Hello everyone,
    This is my first time posting, though I have been a member for some time an contributed resources, so please bear with me if the format is not perfect! I am looking for advice for a colleague. The situation is a little complex, but here goes...
    My friend works at an independent school currently inspected via Ofsted, but according to the Headteacher, shortly transferring to the ISC. The Headteacher is apparently retiring shortly, meaning applications are open for the Headship and the successful candidate will take up the position in September. The current Head is to become a governor, as apparently this is a requirement from Oftsed. Is he correct or merely trying yet again to abuse his power? I have trawled Ofsted and found no evidence that this is true.
    My colleague does not have a PGCE but the Head has also informed him that the ISC have stated he must have one and a full degree (not the HND he has) to be able to apply for the job as Headteacher. Is this correct? Again I have trawled the ISC website and found no evidence that this is true.
    Additionally the Head is a manipulative person, who surrounds himself with women through whom he can still be in power. Undoubtedly this is his aim here. He is currently putting as many roadblocks as possible in front of my friend even applying for the position and weighting the process in favour of his considerably less able female co-workers. Provided documentary evidence can be compiled, does this qualify as discrimination? Can it be challenged?
    Thank you for your help and advice. I do appreciate it immensely.

3. 1. I cannot imagine that a retiring HT becoming a governor is an Ofsted requirment, even in the independent sector. It is certainly not true in the state system.
    2. I would have thought that it is up to the school as to what qualifications their Headteacher should have. I am sure it will be made clear in nay advert for the post. I would think it most unlikely that ISC would attempt to regulate on such a matter.
    3. Is it discriminatory? Best ask a lawyer.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why is the colleague himself not able to ask for this advice?

5. He is able to ask for advice himself, but I am acting on his behalf as he is a good friend and working extremely hard at the moment.

6. Hiya BlackDog99,
    Thank you for your reply. It does help clarify a bit.
    1. I am of the same opinion. I have only been able to find voluntary suggestions for governance and no requirements whatsoever on the Ofsted site. It is a relief that it is not a requirement in the state sector. My next move should perhaps be to get in touch with Ofsted directly and seek clarification.
    2. The post is advertised internally only I believe. The school employs several teachers without QTS and some without full degrees. Can they specify that their Head must have QTS when over 50% of their staff including the SMT do not? According to the prose on the school website the current Head has QTS, though that does not prove he actually does. The Head wants one of the (failing but sympathetic) SMT to become the new Head so he can use them as a puppet from the governor's chair, thus ensuring his longevity in the face of perceived retirement. Just emailed ISI to seek clarification on qualification requirements for a Head.
    3. No clue on this one, but again I guess it hinges on proving it.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! No head would want their predecessor to move straight on to the governing body, looking over their shoulder, and no competent GB should put the new head in that position. It sounds like the outgoing head really wants to continue running the school

Why are the school's proprietors so supine as to allow it to happen? Who selects the new head - proprietor or governors?

I don't know specifically what independent school inspection rules are but I'm certain that what's claimed about Ofsted is total nonsense! I can't believe any organisation would make any such recommendation, let alone make it a requirement.

I can't say whether ISC say heads must have a degree and PGCE, let us know what you find. I very much doubt it though- state school heads don't have to have them, nor to have QTS.

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Not have a degree, nor yet PGCE? I find that hard to believe - please correct me if I'm wrong but north of the border you have to have a teaching qualification, and I understood it was the same in England.

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

This independent employer may create whatever person specification it likes, when looking for a new Head, providing it does not specify discriminatory characteristics. Your friend would find it hard to.prove sex discrimination. All the employer needs to do is specify 'graduate with QTS' in the advert and they have an objectivEly fair reason not to consider him.

10. Hello RottWeiler,
    Thank you for your reply. It is very perceptive and does help. That's exactly what the Head is after, especially as he already controls the SMT. The rest of the governors are volunteer and all parents. The current Head is pushing to be allowed to choose their successor and plans to be more hands on than just breathing down their necks! The Governors have a fair amount of say when it comes to choosing the new Head, as does the propreitor, but unfortunately they seem to think the current Head can do no wrong (public perception.) Disaster waiting to happen is an understatement! [​IMG]
    I'm of the same opinion as you regarding the claims about Ofsted and ISI and am researching it for proof. It would be completely obstructive to progress, which is surely the opposite of what Ofsted et al want, especially where a school is failing.

11. Thank you for the advice Gardening Leaves. If the Head neglects to specify 'graduate with QTS' on the advert he may stand a chance of getting through the roadblocks the Head is putting in front of him. We can only hope!

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

My advice for your colleague would to get out of there very fast indeed. This sounds like it could become an awful situation if the present head gets to be on the governors. Run for the hills!!!!

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

And people PAY for their kids to attend this school!?

14. I fully agree with you and have been trying to persuade him of that for a long time!

Well the plot has thickened. Censorship, rigging, goalposts growing legs and running around the pitch. Every dirty trick in the book from the authority figures. I am voting with my feet. I just hope my colleague will finally see sense and do the same.

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

To answer some points factually, refer to:
    The Education (Independent School Standards) (England) Regulations 2010
    S.I. 2010 No. 1997

16. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Skeoch. Much appreciated.