1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Your advice to NQTs on those burning questions: New Teacher Mag article

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by HelenBeckett01, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Hello headteachers

New Teacher Mag is putting together an article on headteachers' advice to NQTs. If you have any thoughts on some (or all!) of the following please do post ideas - or feel free to direct message me if you'd like your full name and school to be credited.

<ul id="yui_3_7_2_1_1385109927023_60228">
    <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1385109927023_60227">What do you expect from an NQT in their first year?
    <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1385109927023_60232">What sort of contribution ( if any) do you expect in after school clubs or extra curricular activities?
    <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1385109927023_60235">How should an NQT approach any hiccoughs in their induction; are normal?
    <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1385109927023_60238">What makes an NQT's application stand out?
    <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1385109927023_60241">What's the worst thing an NQT can do?
    <li id="yui_3_7_2_1_1385109927023_60244">What do you look out for in an interview lesson?
    [/LIST]

Many thanks! Helen.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

NQTs - Get used to falsifying data and turning a blind eye to others doing similar.

and good luck with that performance-related pay....

3. I'll ignore the comment above.

1. I expect NQTs to show a willingness to learn - taking every opportunity to learn from/ with colleagues. I don't expect the finished article.

2. I don't expect NQTs to do clubs etc. Some do towards the end of their NQT year but it's getting the classroom right that matters most. That said, those that get involved in after-school events (Attending Christmas Fair etc) tend to be the ones who are showing a real commitment to the school.

3. There are many ups and downs for NQTs in their first year and they should be prepared for this. Being reflective and acting thoughtfully on feedback is the most important thing here - nobody expects an NQT to get everything right first time.

4. NQT applications can all look the same. Show your passion for teaching and give lots of examples to back up statements (otherwise it can read like a list of teaching strategies cribbed from books). DON'T send out a standard letter of application - a HT can spot them a mile off and they usually go straight in the bin. Craft your letter around showing that you match the person spec. A visit to the school is also a must.

5. The worst thing an NQT is assume that they are the finished article and not accept or act on feedback.

6. In an interview lesson I look for clarity of exposition and good pitch & pace - not a demonstration of every teaching technique they've ever seen.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

To all NQTs.... Learn to do your research whether it be on a potential school, curriculum topic or indeed an aspect of educational development. This topic for example has been covered several times already on these forums :)

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Primary schools. Secondary schools do not usually expect (or want) pre-application visits.

My top tip - go over to Jobseekers and read all of Theo's blogs for the best possible advice on how to make your application as good as it possibly can be.

And ensure that your application is utterly and completely error-free. If you are one of those people who routinely writes emails, etc with no apostrophes, capital letters and so on - this tip is especially aimed at YOU.