1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youngest deputy head....?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by teacher242, Jul 4, 2008.

1. 20336870

20336870 New commenter

I am 28 with 7 years experience, just starting a DH post in September. I know I am ready for it. I have developed new initiatives across the whole primary school, community and church and have done lots of outreach to other teachers within our local area. Good luck! :)

Lalex123 likes this.
  2. emilyhaddock

emilyhaddock New commenter

I was 25 when I became DHT and became HT at 27. Just got Good in my first Ofsted, aged 29 from the school previously being RI.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

How boring.

I'd much rather hear about the oldest D/HT...

I met still-serving class teacher a few months back who is 72!

saluki, MarieAnn18, mohawkvic and 3 others like this.
  4. September

September New commenter

Maybe if schools did not have Assistant Headteachers this would mean more experienced Deputy Headteachers and Headteachers. Also this would mean more money for more teachers.
    I might start a new thread on this.....

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I cannot help wondering about this post does Kirkham still think that this is a gleaming example of good practice? I mean what could go wrong?

Where is the double face palm when you need it.

6. scienceteacher555

scienceteacher555 New commenter

I'm about to become an AHT at 29 and have really worked hard to get there.

22: NQT
    23: Literacy Co-ordinator (gained MA Education this year)
    24: Deputy Head of Year
    25: KS4 Science Co-ordinator
    27: AST
    29: AHT

Also worked as an examiner throughout.

I don't know how I could have done that quicker and I don't think I'd want to. I still have 39 years before I can retire and I'm in no rush to become a DHT or HT now I've reached AHT! As Middlemarch mentioned much earlier in this thread, which still resonates with me:

7. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

These threads make me suspicious of the people who are so desperate to get out of the classroom.

Those who can...

8. Lindzloo

Lindzloo New commenter

Ok I got my first DH at 26 after only four years teaching, got my NPQH by 29 then moved to a bigger school ( primary) to DH. I’ve ‘coasted’ a little from 30-40 years old, taking a slight sidewards step trying head of Y7 in a Secondary mostly because I needed a new challenge but wanted to have a family and felt having maternity whilst Headteacher was not the right move for me or a school. I’m now about to start Headship after taking a short leadership break for two years to have my second child. Personally speaking I was not ready. I thought I was but it’s only now with the wide range of experiences in different settings and phases that I see this. I probably could have done it then but I believe I will be a much better leader with the experiences, knowledge and life experience I’ve now accumulated. I had too much responsibility too young and it did effect my mental health and relationship- was newly married at the time ( now divorced). Just sharing my journey. It’s been a rollercoaster!

9. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

Interesting reading some of these posts. In Scotland, DHT and HT posts in particular are becoming less and less attractive which is why more and more individuals are regarded as ‘young’ for the role. That is to say, it’s those desperate to climb the career ladder that often get these jobs now because a lot of much more experienced staff simply don’t want them. Personally, I value my work-life balance too much and can make more than the majority of primary DHTs by tutoring.

Whilst I can think of one particularly good HT under 30, the others lack credibility due to a lack of teaching experience and as such, their schools are not particularly happy places within which to work.

10. HS83

HS83 New commenter

AHT 26
    DHT 27
    HT 32

You know when you are ready, listen to your own heart and mind

11. reg_mcledge

reg_mcledge New commenter

Having just caught up on this thread there are some interesting points made on both sides.

I have thought about the comments made in relation to taking on a DH or HT role 'too early' as one may have 40 years or so left before retirement. I think this is perhaps too simplistic - do we really want the majority of schools being led by teachers who are approaching retirement age? Of course they will have invaluable experience, excellent skills and will bring lots of positives to their position. However, the increasing demands of the role perhaps lend itself to having senior leaders who, on average, are younger and more likely to cope with the physical and mental demands of the job. This is certainly not to say that staff who are nearing retirement are not able to perform their roles at all - far from it. There are many excellent HT's who I know that are just as passionate about their role, learning and school improvement who are approaching the latter stages of the career. It is also not to say that ALL 'younger' people have the ability and resilience to cope with these pressures better.

We must also realise that the time of teachers staying in education for 40 years is now not the 'norm'. Many teachers will have aspirations to change careers later in life or to climb back down the ladder, as my own father did.

12. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

God this is depressing. Having being badly interviewed and treated by many SLT under 30, it’s a sad day to see that ageism is now indeed the norm within ‘education.’