1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youngest deputy head....?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by teacher242, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Well my career progression is a different story:-

QTS 1989
    Probationary Year 1990
    A Allowance 1993
    B Allowance 1993 (secondment)
    D Allowance 1994 (secondment - regraded!)
    A allowance 1995 (back in school)
    Temp B allowance 2003
    Lost B allowance in TLR restructuring Dec 2006
    Lose A alllowance December 2008!

Think I peaked too soon!

NPQH awarded 2006

Meanwhile, many very inexperienced teachers rise steadily through the ranks!!
    Bitter and twisted - no! All our TLR posts earn less than me (UPS3) most of them not even through threshold!! They have to attend endless meetings and jump through hoops.
    Am I bovvered?

2. Is it about job satisfaction?
    Kudos?
    Status?
    Salary?
    Gender?
    Age?

I was DH acting at 31 - loved it for a year

Changed countries and became relief tchr. Had own kids and took time out.

Went back as classroom tchr and would not want any of that admin stuff anymore. I enjoy the teaching far more. That to me is the satisfaction.

3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

secondary or primary - a big difference imo

4. kevgeall

kevgeall New commenter

Interesting to hear how often some people have moved schools. I think experience of several schools is important but would be wary of people who have moved every year or two. Anyone can waltz in, make some changes and move on leaving chaos in their wake.

Before I was appointed AHT I had 4 years as Head of Science. Less than that and I just wouldn't have had the confidence that comes from having a proven track record of improvement and dealing with our more difficult colleagues.

The primary/secondary distinction is also interesting. I was surprised to learn that as a UPS1 Head of Science I earnt more than a friend of mine who is a primary Deputy Head.

Is the pay differential justified? Does it refelct a difference in demand/difficulty?

Kev

5. I was appointed DH at 29 and head at 32. I think it makes a big difference around here as we have lots of small primaries crying out for leaders. But does that mean I was appointed because I was good or they were desperate? ;-)

6. simbridge

simbridge New commenter

Thanks Billybong for talking the most sense in this thread.
    We have teachfirsts at our place gleefully plotting their path to AHT/AST within a couple of years. They will probably make it because they are very clever and possess the attributes most required for interview panels and inspectors these days, namely the ability to be articulate about the latest government pieces of paper using flashy Powerpoint.
    No disrespect to some of the no doubt hard-working young managers in this thread, but what gives you the right to call yourselves leaders and the right to judge experienced and competent colleagues without:
    -a proven track record of getting results over a respectable period of time
    -a proven track record of nurturing, supporting and developing colleagues over a respectable period of time
    -a proven track record of having a presence in the corridors, playground and classroom over a respectable period of time

-

7. Simbridge, you are so right. You have to have a proven track record as a teacher, as a subject or year leader and as an effective person around the school. You need to demonstrate improvement and achievement over a period of time. These future leaders etc are not experienced enough to understand that you can't improve a school out of a generic manual. There are too many slt out there with bits of paper and interview skills. I also think a lot of people get AHT and DHT posts in failing or poor schools where they need posts filling and then use that to create a good CV and move on. It doesn't matter how clever you are or how much potential you have, there is so much to cover in this job, that you can't do it effectively if you don't have the experience.

8. simbridge and Ben Price- what is a respectable period of time? What is the right level of experience?
    I?m now 35 and have been told by inspectors I?m doing a good job, by parents and staff through anonymous questionnaires that I?m doing a good job and by the children through feedback that they are happy with me and our school. My SIP and I think we are on our way to ?Outstanding? and we offer a very exciting and creative curriculum. I have never worked in secondary so know little of what it involves but at primary level you can get very good young DH/heads and very good older DH/heads, you can also get very poor DH/heads of all ages.

9. Teachfirst what is this?

10. I would be interested in finding out what subjects were getting people to the top as one poster put it.

The major challenge I find is not doing my job well but constantly feeling as if I have to prove myself to some people who are either bitter or didn't want the job in the first place! (Sweeping generalisation and know it's not everybody, just some I have come across)

11. I was appointed in January at the age of 26.

12. 48yrs this summer, going on 21 yrs! Positive attitude of mind is vital and the capacity to always look forwards - 26 years' experience before taking up post which I have found invaluable!

13. enjoyteach

enjoyteach New commenter

I was appointed assistant head at 26, then I got a deputy job at 28. I feel I am effective and Ofsted have confirmed it.

14. I never made deputy head but went straight to headship of a state primary school (NOR 200) at the age of 28yrs back in the late 70s. Then 2nd headship (NOR 400) at 33yrs. Those were the days.... before NPQH etc. got in the way! On merit, I hope, like the RBS posting.

15. When I was at school, 30 year's ago, my Headteacher was 26 year's old!

16. There is a difference between primary and secondary.

I was appointed as a secondary deputy at 33, became a secondary head a month after my 36 birthday, and now at the age of 41 am on my second headship.

In short, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Too much ageism in education (both ways) in my opinion.

"Experience". What does it mean? Years served or the ability to learn and apply quickly? "Appoint for ATTITUDE; train for skills" is my motto.

17. Was appointed assistant head at 25, deputy at 27 have just been appointed head at 28! Experience is down to where you are and the situation your school is in not about age.

18. war

war

Is this a competition to see who can be the youngest deputy head? Perhaps I'm missing the point, but surely it should always be the best person for the job.

I came in to teaching later than usual. I'm in my early 50s now and would make an extremely effective Deputy with my wealth of experience, but I am competing against this mindset sometimes, it seems.

19. At no point would I say that this is a competition and agree that it is the best person for the job so if you are effective get applying!

20. J4C

J4C

A very interesting read, all these differing opinions. I do not think yr age has anything to do with whether you are a good leader/ manager or not. in my school the SLT is made up of the younger members of staff. They are the ones who give up alot of their free time to make the school a better place. They are full of creative ideas, enthusiasm and up to date training ensures they have the right skills.