1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Youngest deputy head....?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by teacher242, Jul 4, 2008.

1. What is the preoccupation of teachers and service. I have also come from business M and S and have had slt responsibility after 3 years of teaching in a large comprehensive in hull. I am now an advisor - 6 years in and am looking for a headship, deputy headship in the next few years. Its how good you are at managing and leading - and that is not dependant on age or experience.

2. Hear, hear,
    You are correct. Teaching does not necessarily promote those skills required for leadership. Knowledge of Teaching, learning and how institutions run is useful, but that can always be gleaned from other sources. Communication, direction and logistic know-how are essential. Oh yes, and a thick skin because staff rooms are cruel forums and daggers often come from behind

3. Is it to do with the whole primary/secondary thing?
    Think it is a lot easier to move up quickly in small primary schools than it is in large comprehensives. I do agree though that being a good teacher doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good manager, but experience in the classroom means you have a much better insight into the demands of the job etc to better manage the needs of your colleagues. It's hard to empathise with what you don't know.

4. I was appointed at 29, 7 years experience.

5. I am 27 and I was appointed at the age of 26. Not a disaster at all, I am just finishing my first year, where I have survived OFSTED and have successfully managed to move my team forward and not get myself outcast. In the 5 year prior to being appointed to Deputy I sort good CPD and worked in 2 different by large primary school, 1 as a class teacher and the other as the keystage leader. I don't profess to have all the answer but I do endeavour to be credible with my peers, which means doing a good job with my class and using my leadership skills to move the school forward. I personally belief it's not how old your or how much experience you have it what you do with your experiences and opportunities and remember not everyone wants to be a school leader! I have some outstanding teachers working in my school but none of them want to go into leadership. I aim to be a head within the next 5 years, you need to have drive and determination but you also need to be able to listen and learn from others.

6. I stand by my point. I think it is ludicrous to argue that someone who has taught for 3 years has more experience than someone who has taught for twenty.

Whether they would make a better leader is a different argument entirely.

7. Experience and leadership are skills which are learned over many years doing a variety of jobs and tasks. Soft skills are the most difficult to acquire and, yet, the most important skills to have. Any commercial company will train potential leadership candidates by rotating them through a wide variety of jobs in all sectors of the company. If they constantly get into scrapes and arguments they are hived off to some quiet backwater whilst more promising candidates continue their upward progress.

Since coming into teaching I have been astonished by how poorly trained candidates are. It seems that the desire to have the job is seen as the major factor in employing someone. Meanwhile, really able candidates who have real leadership potential are allowed to languish in the staffroom. Real performance management is all about identifying potential and ensuring personnel have the opportunity to met that potential. I have seen little evidence of this being the case in teaching.

The bottom line is that you won't/can't get the best leadership unless to draw from the whole range of talent available to you (same as getting a British champion at Wimbledon). In my opinion, school management is currently drawn from a small pool of teachers who are overly ambitious and focussed on presentation. I'm willing to bet that certain subjects are significantly over-represented in management and this statistic alone would prove that the system is favouring those who have nothing better to do with their time than to plot their route to the top.

8. kirstenly

kirstenly New commenter

My mate's sister began teaching at 22, got a Assistant Head post at 25, deputy at 26 now has a headship at 28, NOR:200. She is 20 years younger and has 10 years less experience than my HT who has only NOR:96.

Regardless of experience and age, she is very competent, school-focussed and teaching is her life. Suppose so long as you're determined and dedicated to the role???

9. 44 with 24 years experience and female.
    I'd be very interested to know about youngest male deputy and youngest female. Also how many of each there are!!

10. I'm 26 and have been appointed to start my first Deputy Headship in September. I am currently in my fourth year of teaching but have held some key leadership roles which have had significant impact on school improvement. I'd like to think people judged my suitability on my work rather than my age. I know staff who taugh for many, many more years than I have and yet have had less impact on school development.

11. "In my opinion, school management is currently drawn from a small pool of teachers who are overly ambitious and focussed on presentation."

Agree. Ambition is fine; it does not necessarily translate into an ability to do the job well.

12. My school - 1500 kids including sixth form

ht- 46 m
    dh- 51 f
    dh- 49 m
    aht- 32 f
    aht- 45 f
    aht- 45ish? f
    aht- 30 m
    aht - 33 m

aht = assistant head teacher.

The older ones are brilliant and very good at the politics the younger ones do all the donkey work and say yes to everything.

all the young ones have only ever taught at this school.

essentially its not a good atmosphere, mostly positions of responsibility are given to NQTs aside from SMT in a staff of one hundred there are six teachers over 50 all the others are under 35.

its not a nice place to work to be honest. kids are good, but the staff are highly competitive and bitchy, you can't trust anyone at all. all want promotion and to me it seems no one talks about teaching and stuff that happens in lessons. its all policy and the phrase I hate "moving forward" (to what?) and of course ofsted.

Some of the new staff are suprised when I(all of 32) know the history of the kids and the parents, get on with difficult people and kids etc. I just do not think new staff bother, they always have their eye on the prize. what ever that is!

I guess although the people are good it just doesn't feel like a community much more like a business. its horrible. am looking all the time for a new job!

13. congratualtions and well done sidneysides!
    on my MA course (leadership and man'mt) some folk were complaining about 'young know-it-alls' thinking they can rule the world, which i was quite offended by.
    so long as you work your socks off - which you obviously have (and everyone else in this conversation), have drive, commitment, etc, etc, why should there be an age limit on leadership?!
    ps- just appointed DH at 35.

14. I got to aht at 37 and jacked it in at 39 cos I was **** at it. HOD suits me fine.

roman_eagle and pepper5 like this.
  15. Mmmm.

I am interested in the male female ratio of this 'Youngest DH' discussion. Seems to me that males, few as they are in teaching, especially primary, make a quick path to the top. It also seems they're generally younger than their female counterparts who aspire to the same position.

I would think, that given the ratio of men:women in teaching that women would be higher in numbers in DH roles. Buuuuut men seem to escape the classroom and climb the ladder at a much younger age.

Thoughts?

16. PULU:
    I understand what you are saying, but I have to comment to the contrary.

I'm 31, female and am just at the end of my 5th year of teaching. I was appointed Acting Deputy 6 months ago and move in September to a new school as substantive Deputy Headteacher.

In my opinion it's about drive, determination and ability to 'do' the job more than male/female or old/young.

17. I was 35, teaching 10 years and I'm a girl!!!

18. I'm a girl, 32 and a Headteacher in my 10th year of teaching, got to deputy at 27, taught at three different schools and got my posts against stiff (and older) opposition.

19. I have been teaching for 19 years. I have worked in 4 primary schools, large and small, church and community. I was a KS2 leader after 6 years and deputy head after 14 years. In the mean time I had two children too!!! I believe I have drive and determination. I have recently been asked to become head of a school by the local authority. Whilst I may not be the youngest DH or Head I believe I have much to offer and I have great experience and expertise as well as life skills. I have also committed time and effort into each school and their development and not merely used them as stepping stones to the next rung of the ladder.

20. I am female (33), I've taught for 11 years and have been a Deputy Head since January! I have mixed feelings on this debate. On one hand, I truly value experience as a key factor in good leadership but this has to be the RIGHT experience. It very much depends on the person - I spent a long time getting to know the role of DH and working my way up various leadership roles in a variety of schools (I'm now in my 5th). I now have a wealth of first hand experience to draw upon when providing leadership as DH. I believe this gives me confidence in my role and gives other people confidence in me.

However, I have also worked alongside someone with only a few years experience who aspires to be a DH within the next few years! She has excellent leadership qualities and I'm sure she will make a good DH. She has already gained a variety of knowledge from working alongside other leaders - she now needs challenging and encouraging.

Experience is something you can't buy and nor can you buy natural ability!

You need to earn trust and respect from your colleagues in order to lead - if you can do this, does age matter?!?