1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Younger years books (aged 6-9).

Discussion in 'Primary' started by therumpus, Feb 19, 2012.

1. This is a bit of a broad request, but I have no experience teaching younger students (6-9 years). I'm a preservice teacher, so don't think I'm being unfocused ;).
    What books would you recommend for a theme lasting about a fortnight? What books have your younger ones really enjoyed? What books could grab their imagination to move into the classroom?
    I know that books like Wonky Donkey are popular, but I don't think I could stretch the story very far :). I was thinking of something like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I think that theme has been done a lot - I'd be super happy to do it in my own classroom, but I think my lecturer may have seen it before.
    But don't take my inability to stretch the Wonky Donkey (any idea how hard it is not to type wonkey??) into a reasonable mini-theme or my thoughts that Charlie has been done before as a flag not to post. I'd love to hear any recommendations of what books your kids have loved. Old, new, funny, serious, anything. Something you may think has been done to death in the UK may not have been in other countries :).
    Thank you!

2. This is a bit of a broad request, but I have no experience teaching younger students (6-9 years). I'm a preservice teacher, so don't think I'm being unfocused ;).
    What books would you recommend for a theme lasting about a fortnight? What books have your younger ones really enjoyed? What books could grab their imagination to move into the classroom?
    I know that books like Wonky Donkey are popular, but I don't think I could stretch the story very far :). I was thinking of something like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I think that theme has been done a lot - I'd be super happy to do it in my own classroom, but I think my lecturer may have seen it before.
    But don't take my inability to stretch the Wonky Donkey (any idea how hard it is not to type wonkey??) into a reasonable mini-theme or my thoughts that Charlie has been done before as a flag not to post. I'd love to hear any recommendations of what books your kids have loved. Old, new, funny, serious, anything. Something you may think has been done to death in the UK may not have been in other countries :).
    Thank you!

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

If you search for 'class novels' (in the search box at the top of the page) you'll find some previous threads with quite a few ideas for books and authors.
    I would say to pick something that you'll enjoy teaching and that your class will enjoy working on - their enthusiasm will impress your lecturer more than just an unusual choice of book for the sake of being different.
    Good luck!