1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

young writers scam- has anyone recieved any books from these guys?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Cez24, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Hi,
    Last autumn I knew nothing aout this scam- it all seemed pretty legit. I ent children's writing off and low and behold most of them will get published in a book. They do charge a whopping £15 for the book, some parents have actually gone and paid for the book, however they haven't recieved one yet and its only 2 weeks before we break up.
    Just wondering if anyone else has been through this, should I infomr the parents that it is a scam, Im scared tho- will they blame the school and want us to pay their £15 back!
    Worried teacher x

2. We enter their competitions regualrly and always receive the books. Have you tried contacted them?

3. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

no-will do tho. What do your parents say about having to pay £15!!??

4. Hi
    We just got the letter back about the acrostic poems books and loads of our kids will be published. It says on ours that the publication date is the 9th September 2009. Does it give you a date anyway on the letter or order form?
    jax

5. netmum

netmum New commenter

Am I correct in thinking that this is one of the vanity presses that are about.
    People on a parents website I use hate them, apparently the books are quite poor quality too.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I entered the competion??? two years ago and every single poem was published (obviously with the intention of encouraging every parents to spend £15) so I binned the order forms as I felt it was a huge con!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

competition

8. I recently entered the acrostic poem competition by young writers. I told my children there would be a winner and now 22 out of 23 of them have received a letter saying their work will be published. I wrote a letter to my parents explaiing what had happened and how it was all a HUGE con! I rang them to complain but they never answer the phone ! I wont be entering in the future!!

9. Hi Cez
    I did receive my school's free copy after chasing it up via an e-mail to them. All of the parents who ordered the book have now received them as a result of the same chasing e-mail. In fact odly enough they arrived about 3 days after my complaining e-mail - co-incidence (I think not!)
    They are vanity publishers and I won't enter any more of their competitions - the books are no way worth £15 and not even all my children who 'won' had their work published - seems to be only the ones who paid who got their short story published.
    Hope you get it sorted. x

10. Hi,

My son has been entered in 'My First Poem' when he was in nursery and now in 'Young Writers', I was never weary because all letters came via the school and was very please when I heard that he had been accepted. I was slightly shocked with the amount each book cost but when calling about my concerns I was spoken to by a very helpful young lady who spent the time to go through the process from start to finish which did help me realise why the books were priced as they were.

Because I am local to the company I asked if I could visit to see how things were dealt with and to speak to some of the Young Writers team. On meeting them I saw how much work went into preparing each accepted student and how each book was cleverly designed and made.

The idea behind what 'Young Writers' do is not to 'con' people out of their money but to help children use words and poetry to their advantage. Many people that send back the permission form do not order a copy and their children can view their work in the free copy sent to the school. I once did forget to send back the permission form which meant my son could not be featured as permission had not been given not because I didn’t purchase a copy.

I’m sure if any other parents are worried about the company they also could ask to visit the team or ask for advice on the phone. It is truly amazing how much hard work and dedication each team member puts in to make our children’s creative ability come out through poetry and short stories. My son is always asking for me to read pieces he has written and wishes he could be featured more often. I do personally send in his work from us now and if I cannot afford the book I make sure he asks his teacher for their school copy at break so he can view it.

I hope this information has helped. And do honestly believe 'Young Writers' is helping our children continue to enjoy writing, which in this day and age is dying out slowly, there is nothing better than a good old fashionable paper and pen to enjoy. x

11. We entered the Mini Saga competition just before Christmas and were surprised at how many entries were 'chosen' for publication. A concerned parent looked into it and found quite a bit of adverse publicity; has anyone had any dealings with Young Writers recently? I'd be grateful for any feedback!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I remember this - one of our pupils was really excited because he had a letter saying his poem would be published. Then the next day, everyone else got letters!

Some competition

[​IMG]