1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young women's car insurance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Jan 8, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Any advice on avoiding the massive increase in price for car insurance for young women?
    As you know, insurance companies are going to charge same rates for young women that they do for young men.
    My daughter's insurance has gone up from £500 to over £1000. She's been driving for a few years now and has never had any claim whatsoever. Apparently it will be easier once she passes 25.
    Anyone know if there are any companies offering better deals for young women hit by this change?

I reckon this so-called non-discriminatory change of policy is a bloomin' con!

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I'm sure it is a con - my son is nearly 27 and has been driving without an accident since he was 17 but his premiums are still high - higher than mine although I think he is the better driver (don't tell him that).

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Nobody said equality came without a price.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Your son's individua driving ability is irrelevant - his premiums are set based on the demographic group to which he belongs - and young men are bigger insurance risks than older drivers

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Indeed, if the insurance companies tried to charge middle aged drivers the same as youngsters, there'd be a riot!

6. I have used einsure for the two years since I passed and have always found their prices reasonable. I did pass when I was 25 though.

7. I just stick my details into comparison websites, and choose the cheapest. Ive never had to claim (touch wood) and am 25 and female, and have noticed no increase in my insurance (yet...) but I have just passed the 25 mark which maybe helps.

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

shop around
    my daughter was quoted more this year than last by her previous insurers but has found cover for more than a thousand pounds less than this ie £2000 down to £700.

9. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Yes I am sure you are right. I had high hopes of this after age 25 business but it doesn't seem to have made any difference as he is nearly 27.

10. What car does he drive? Certain cars popular with younger males have higher insurance rates too.
    My OH is 29 and his insurance this year is £370 - he made two claims very close together in 2007 that werent his fault. His cheapest quote is with Admiral, as is mine, through confused.com

11. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

If she joins the institute for advanced motorists and enrols on the advanced driving course (a charge of £120 in total I believe for young drivers). She passes the test if your daughter then insures her car through IAM surety (their own insurance company) her insurance will drop dramtically. When I did it with my 1ltr Hyundai Amica it went from £1200 down to £370.
    Also they guarantee a pass because that 120 includes unlimited lessons. Its is very much worth doing.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think the whole thing sucks. Young men are more likely to have crashes but can that cohort be broken down even more to determine the type of young man to have a crash?

13. PPJ

PPJ

Consider adding a parent as a second named driver, child still main driver otherwise its illegal.

14. Yep..I still have my mother and father as named drivers on mine!
    I am a named driver on my OHs and bring his premium down a little.

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Both driving daughters have my husband on their insurance as additional named driver. It has made a big difference.
    Middle daughter is in one of those engineering occupations that does her no favours for car insurance, unfortunately.
    When I got my first insurance after learning to drive last year, I was added as second driver to my husband's insurance and it cost well under £100.That's just about the only benefit of being ancient!

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You are (your daughter) probably making the biggest mistake of all - staying loyal to one company. If you do this, they will pay you back with such moves, and in a little way it is all the fault of the insurance comparison sites (but relax, this will help you too, if you play the game!)
    An insurance company knows it has to be in the top 3 of comparisons or it will lose your business. So often (they do also tip each other off and it is a bit of a cartel) you can get a very, very good price for no other reason than you are a 'new customer'.
    Let me give you an example. I was taken on by a company for 200 pounds a year, at renewal they wanted 300....I let the policy lapse and went to a comparison site the next day....and with the very same company I now got 180 pounds!
    I have done this every year for the last 7 or so years, often re-insuring with my present company 24 hours after receiving their outrageous renewal offer. It has saved me 50-150 pounds each time.
    So do the same - go to moneysupermarket, confused and all the comparison sites. They force companies to give introductory benefits - the companies will then slam you at renewal.
    So just change company and get those introductory benefits again!

17. I thought it was common practice to never just accept a renewal quote from your existing company. My renewal this year was silly (admiral), I put it into a comparison site and it came out cheapest with diamond...I rang them, was on the phone for AGES to a very annoying lady, was nearing the end and she asked who I was currently with...I told her Admiral (whom I had not yet informed about the cancellation) and she said she couldnt do it until i'd spoken to their retentions department as they are a sister company!!! I hung up.
    I didnt want to give them the business but they were much cheaper so in the end I swallowed my pride, rang Admiral and they matched the price with releative ease, but I was so annoyed that i'd spent an hour on the phone to Diamond in the first place.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We got a big reduction on my son's premiums by having me and his mum as named drivers on his policy. He was the main driver but it took about 40% off the premium.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Also last year we got a good privce by having a multicar policy in his name but with my car as well. However when the renewal came up they wanted to charge £1000+ for my car (my usual quote being less than £300) so we didn't renew as a pair and got beatter deals as individuals.

20. I'd start by using the comparison websites - Compare the Market, Go Compare and/or Money Supermarket. I'd then also go to Quidco and look at whether any of the insurance companies with reasonable quotes also offer cashback - you can ofter get abour £50 cashback on car insurance, and the same on home insurance when it comes up - it takes a while to come through, but it's a nice little lump sum when it comes through.
    I almost always change my car insurance provider every time it comes up for renewal, but didn't this year because Aviva's renewal quote was the best I got from a company I'd heard of. You often get companies you've never heard of coming out cheapest, and I try to avoid these as I'm always slightly suspicious!
    I've also heard that, for young drivers, taking an advanced driving test (did this used to be called Pass Plus?) can bring your premium down quite a lot.