1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young Teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by AlmaB, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I have worked in special education for 24 years. In recent years I find the NQTs have no idea how to use a Teaching Assistant. They seem to prefer us o be out in the corridor puttng up pictures, even though all of our children really require 1-1 to access the curriculum. They wont accept any advice at all and don't even involve the TAs in the discussions regarding the children.
    Anyone else have this problem?

2. scienceteacher11

scienceteacher11 New commenter

I think it really helps being a TA first,I am a TA but I start teacher training this year and will be an NQT the year after and I will defineltly not be wasting my TA and realise i'll be lucky to have one if i have one. I think the use of TAs should maybe be incorporated into training a little bit because it could really help the NQTs out as well as making the TAs feel more valued

3. R13

R13 New commenter

When I trained to teach in the 80's to go into special schools there was nothing on the course about how to manage and lead staff. Now in a special school a teacher works as part of a team with a number of assistants and pretty much all primary teachers work with an assistant so I have to say I think it appalling that over 25 years later teachers are still leaving ITT without having been taught such important skills.
    I taught for 2 years without ever having anyone in my class except an occasional Inspector and then moved to a school for more complex kids and had 2 assistants, both about the same age as my mother, with about 35 years experience between them. Fortunately I had the sense to listen and learn from them and to work with them.
    As a Head now I say to any teacher coming to my school that if they are not good team workers they will not be a success in our school

4. oldsizenines

oldsizenines New commenter

I'm an NQT, and during my 4 years of teacher training, I found speaking to a TA or asking them for help or even give them direction was something I just couldn't bring myself to do!
    As far as I was concerned, I was the visitor, and I had no right swanning in and telling a TA what to do when they'd been there for years and were far more experienced that I am!
    However, I got over it, and in my NQT year I'm so grateful to have 2 fantastic TAs, without whom I'd be lost. They do a lot for me, and if I didn't ask them for help, I'd be struggling. Maybe your teacher just lacks a little bit of courage in giving you direction, as I did, for years!

5. Good luck in your future career , the only advice I want to give is to remember you were once a TA and that we are not there to undermine you we want to help. The worst NQT I ever worked with had been a TA herself but it didn't stop her acting like a complete control freak once she became a teacher.

6. The role of TAs is not taught long enough on training courses I agree, however as another poster said, being a TA is part of working as a team with a teacher and not waiting to be told what to do and just doing it when you know there are other things that need doing - such as handwriting / further reading skills which an NQT may have missed (since there are still in training themselves and trying hard to learn so much still). TAs with initiative are the best and as a SENCo I find the new addition TAs to be more proactive than those who have been there a while and have better results with the class teacher as they are willing to work rather than grumble and complain about what it was like in their day...

7. Sorry - I don't think I made my point clear - I meant to say that lesson planning with the teacher is vital which is when you can tell the teacher that johnny needs a bit more tl than the board out in the corridor... I didn't mean to give the impression that you should ignore direction! I would question why some TAs are preferred out in the corridor than working in the class room environment.