1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young staff issues

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by reagangrainger, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hiya I'm a deputy at a nursery and most of our pre-school staff are between 18-20 but emotional young.

I'm having real difficulties keeping them on track, they don't do things unless I address them personally for example to set up an activity or stick to free flow so basic stuff not rocket science.

They also come to me at least once a day with she said this about this I have already banned them from adding each other on facebook as this appeared to cause alot of the issues and tell them I don't want to hear personal issues at all.

Alongside this I get phonecalls from their parents asking to speak to them in work hours I always say no and tell them to leave a message on their mobiles for after work.

I have only been at this setting for 3 weeks and their manager avoids approaching the issue as their "young" now she is on board with being tough but I'm not sure how to appoach this in regard to formal warnings for repeat offenders.

:(

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

We have very similar issues at my nursery. The majority of our staff are aged under 21, with a couple aged 25-30ish, and one aged 54.

Every day I have at least two people in the office with 'he said she said' type issues, and it is just so BORING as well as time consuming! They just don't seem to be able to leave things at the door when they come to work.

We now have a buddy system where each member of staff is paired with another one based in a different room. Buddies have to meet at least once a week at the beginning or end of a shift - the idea is to share good practice etc but this time is usually spent having a rant. This helps a bit as it lets people get it off their chest. However we have a big problem with confidentiality - no one keeps any secrets!

Sorry I can't really help with your situation, but it's nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem!

3. We have a buddy system too I might see into them meeting on a more regular basis.

I know it's a common issue and at the moment it's just one girl who appears to be the route cause it's becoming very frustrating.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Start as you mean to go on by making expectations very clear. Pick out the top, say, three things that are causing problems in the setting, and have a meeting to discuss them. Involve the staff: they will listen and take the changes on board more easily if you say, "I'm noticing x... how do you think we can sort this out?" rather than giving them a list of rules. Explain how the problem affects the nursery/the children, as this will encourage them to look at things from a different point of view.