1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young Scottish Teacher seeking job in Cairo...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by c_murray, Jan 5, 2011.

1. So, I know I am not unique in asking any of the following questions but it would be great to get some up to date advice. I am seriously looking in to positions at international schools in Cairo for a September start. My boyfriend lives in Cairo so Cairo is my sole focus of attention at the moment. I teach English, and will, by the end of this year, have 1 full year's experience. Given that I don't have much experience and that I also don't teach the English National Curriculum, what, do you think, are the chances of my profile even being considered? Does anyone have any hot tips on how to go about ensuring I do get a job for September (and also in a good school?) If anyone has been in a similair position it would be great to hear from you.
    Thanks!

2. So, I know I am not unique in asking any of the following questions but it would be great to get some up to date advice. I am seriously looking in to positions at international schools in Cairo for a September start. My boyfriend lives in Cairo so Cairo is my sole focus of attention at the moment. I teach English, and will, by the end of this year, have 1 full year's experience. Given that I don't have much experience and that I also don't teach the English National Curriculum, what, do you think, are the chances of my profile even being considered? Does anyone have any hot tips on how to go about ensuring I do get a job for September (and also in a good school?) If anyone has been in a similair position it would be great to hear from you.
    Thanks!

3. The lack of teaching the English Curriculum should not affect your application, as long as you make sure and look at the English Curriculum, familiarise yourself with the materials and levels, then in your application say that you have done this. The Curriculums don't actually differ too much.
    Your experience should not affect you too much, I managed to get an interview last year for an international school that insisted on two years teaching experiecne but I was only five months in to my probation year (in Scotland), and they said that the strength of my application was good enough te secure the interview. Plus you will actually have more experince than many applicants because they receive applications from English NQTs who have not done a probation year. I didn't get the job they said they were appointing a depute and he happened to be a teacher in my subject, but I have always thought that maybe my experience did count against me in the interview itself.
    I don't have any knowledge of applying for jobs in Cairo specifically, but I am also looking again this year at international positions, and they will start appearing in larger numbers soon. You are in luck that you teach a subject that is in high demand (I don't),so there should be some options for you to explore.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

It is a while ago that Mrs Hippo and I were in the Land of the Nile, so maybe my information is even more unrelaible and outdated than usual.
    There are a huge number of so-called "international schools" in Cairo and some of them are decidedly dodgy. Subscribing to the ISR might be a worthwhile investment.
    Cairo is, of course, an amazing place, a sprawling city of some 20 million and one of the most polluted places on the planet. You will never really know what a traffic jam is until you live in Cairo.

5. stumigoo, thanks for your reply. You are certainly right about the Eng Curriculum not being much different. Surely teaching 4 curriculums in Scotland at present shows a degree of fast learning and flexibility!

Well done on getting an interview last year - good to hear it isn't completely unheard of. It's a shame you didn't get the job, but I always think that getting an interview is half the battle.

Best of luck for your job hunting this year - what region are you looking at?

6. Thanks for your reply Mr Hippo and for your advice on the schools. It certainly is a metropolis and a half, but I'm looking forward to it (if I can get a job...)!

7. ...specific school? Or just Cairo? Your fella is in a good school?

8. Hi Foneypharaoh!
    No he isn't a teacher at all. I'm just keen to get a job in Cairo (obviously a good one!). Are you based there (going by your username?!!)

Thanks

9. Hi! You have been PM'd...

10. I have been looking at the far east, places like hong kong and japan. With all the budget cuts and the fact that my council can't really make their mind up about what they want me to teach and what type of contract they want to give me I feel as though at this stage in my career I should be exploring other avenues!