1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young people who question the Government or media may be extremists, officials tell parents

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Dec 1, 2015.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...tremists-officials-tell-parents-a6756086.html

Do you agree? Will you be reporting questioning pupils to the Government?

"Child protection officials been criticised after warning parents that young people who take issue with government policy or question what they are told in the media may have been radicalised by extremists.

A leaflet drawn up by an inner-city child safeguarding board warns that “appearing angry about government policies, especially foreign policies” is a sign “specific to radicalisation”.

Parents and carers have also been advised by the safeguarding children board in the London Borough of Camden that “showing a mistrust of mainstream media reports and a belief in conspiracy theories” could be a sign that children are being groomed by extremists
    ."

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Shades of Hitler youth I'm afraid. And Big Brother.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I knew it! They are out to get me!

4. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I think the key word here is "angry" rather than simply disagree. But I agree that this is a very clumsy attempt and does not advance the anti-radicalisation agenda one little bit.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Interestingly, there are now more Zuists in Iceland than there are Muslims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-34974395

"Icelanders are flocking to a recently founded religion which is promising them a rebate on their religious taxes, it's reported.

In recent weeks hundreds of people have registered as Zuist, a relatively new religion based on ancient Sumerian beliefs, the Iceland Monitor website reports. While it is officially recognised as a religious organisation in Iceland, its main aim is to achieve a legislative change - to abolish state funding for religious groups, apportioned from citizens' income taxes and known as parish fees.

The organisation is promising to give the cash it receives back to its members, and is calling for the government to stop collating information on Icelanders' religious beliefs. According to the Visir news website, more than 1,000 people have registered as Zuist, meaning they now outnumber Muslims in Iceland's population of 323,000. Board member Arnor Bjarki Svarfdal Arnarson tells Visir that the Zuisim in Iceland group will disband once they achieve their objectives.

Newly registered Zuists expecting a parish fee windfall may be disappointed to discover that they'll be expected to pay income tax on any refund they receive, Iceland Monitor points out."

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Jedi?