1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young people think eggs come from a field.....really?!!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Jun 15, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I was as dubious as you, Bethannie, and am further still having just done a quick quiz (fully marked, no cheating etc) with the mixed Y5/6 group I'm working with today (so 9, 10 and 11 year olds)
    To give context, our kids are broadly average when they leave here although are well below when they arrive. The catchment is mixed local authority and privately owned, largely working class but with pockets of deprivation. Not privileged by any means. We also have a high proportion non-British children and families.
    And...out of a group of 24 kids:
    1. All 24 knew an egg comes from a chicken or hen - 100%
    2. 23 out of 24 knew that bacon comes from pigs - 95.8% (the one who didn't has English as an additional language so there may be language and cultural reasons for not knowing).
    3. 21 out of 24 children knew what bread is made from. Wheat or grain was the most common answer but I accepted corn (from a Brazilian girl) and was also lenient and accepted flour. 87.5%.

So - I declare this survey largely bollocks.

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I remember once doing supply in a secondary school in East London and asking them where a foodstuff came from (can't remember what it what exactly but it was a basic food) and the smartest answer in the room was 'a packet'.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

If free-range hens live in a field then the eggs may be described as coming from the field, but I know what you're all saying. Milk comes from bottles, well cartons these days!
    It just goes to show how removed we all are from the production of food. Some of our friend's children were amazed to see o/h digging up potatoes and carrots.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

A friend's 21 year old trainee-teacher step-daughter asked her what mashed potato actually is.
    She had no idea that it can be made at home, assuming it was made in a factory from some magical ingredients. On learning that it was potatoes, cooked then mashed up, she was astounded!

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

One of my 24 year old colleagues was stunned to discover that carrot cake contained real carrots, peeled then grated. He never came up with a convincing explanation as to why he thought it was called carrot cake.

6. We were listing what came from cows, this is y8, and i got the answer "rubber"

Apparantly rubber comes from cows, pupils wouldn't believe until i showed them a video clip that it came from trees.

7. A friend's children were absolutely, utterly, astonishingly horrified when I picked and ate apples off our tree. COMPLETEY RAW? And not PEELED and CHOPPED? Hubby was shocked, too, but that's because I make fruit puddings only as long as our own fruit lasts, and once they're gone, that's his Crumble Quota over for the year: he feels that eating the fruit 'au nature'l just brings the season to a close faster.
    But I agree the surveys cannot possible be right. Maybe there are kids who would deliberately give the wrong answer as a joke to what is, to most children, a really obvious question?

8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I have the impression the children were shown pictures to identify where foods come from, anddairy cows and beef cows were considered as separate answers as different pictures. I suspect some children knew cow was the answer but couldn't tell the boys from the girls which gave them the wrong answer in the test.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Actually, it reminds me of a time when I was working in a primary school during my time in the sixth form. A teacher of a year 2 class came to me with a vegetable and asked if it was a swede or a turnip. You may think it was a reasonable question...

[​IMG]

10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

11. Eggs from eggplant.... mmmm