1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young HoD

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by physicsbang, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Oooooo a little harsh.
    Maybe he just needs a strong line manager who will show him a better way?

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No.

We don't need people like this.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Sounds like Mr G was promoted prematurely, doesn't appear to have people management skills nor have sufficient teaching experience to carry out this role effectively.

You cannot expect your teaching staff, may I note, as he quotes, who have more experience than him to give up their non directed time just to provide extra tuition to classes.
    Can understand around exam season, that's different, but it should NOT become an expectation and this should not be reflected in their appraisals.
    When you conduct a review with them, you'll obviously go over results, expected results, at this stage- you can suggest extra tuition, but let's face it, if the teacher is 'good', they will be doing this already- for the best of their students, and of course, the school and department.
    If it's an NQT, you will need to give them more direction, but again, you should not 'use and abuse' their naivity.

meggyd likes this.
  5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Absolutely spot on. Why is there a need for extra lessons if the teaching in timetabled classes is good?

ATfan and wanet like this.
  6. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

One word: Panic.

7. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

Age isn't utterly irrelevant.

A very odd comment.

I supposed we will have a 5 year old head...like the film Boss Baby?

newposter likes this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why is age relevant then?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

I take your point, but I was assuming an adult...
    Some Heads, DHs, AHs, HODs are fantastic and aged 27. Some are fantastic and aged 67.
    It is irrelevant.

10. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

I think you are forgetting the rules around social etiquette:

respect your elders

Many younger staff members feel odd about managing older staff. Older staff have more experience, which should be valued. I take your point that age isn't 'the' defining factor, but it is 'a' defining factor.

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think it would be more important to respect those who know what they should be doing and get on and do it, irrespective of age.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Again 'respect your elders' generally relates to children having respect for adults.

It certainly isn't the case that I respect teachers older than me more than those younger just by virtue of their age.
    If you are great at your job and behave in ways that I value, then I will respect you.
    If you are naff at your job or behave in ways I find abhorrent, then I will not be respecting you however old you might be.

CarrieV likes this.
  13. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

I am a hod and the youngest in my department and it is a happy and successful one. I see the old timers as invaluable experience, the people the NQT's must observe, the people that should mentor and develop new staff and the people who must be heard. Education is constantly changing which means we need to change too, but your team needs to be on board. I take the approach of fixing some of their groans/moans so that they listen and are open to change for the good of the children. And it MUST be for the good of the children, not something that you think will tick off some target you have. For example I scrapped 1 hour after school meetings and changed them to fortnightly lunch time ones. Do not fix something that is not broken, trust folk, let them feel empowered and where it is working well allow things to remain as they are, children love consistency as do staff. Consistency makes folk feel secure and with that comes confidence and success- both for students and teachers. You will have to ignore a lot of the crazy stuff that comes out of SLT mouths, you and your team know what is best for your subject.

14. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Correction- I once was the youngest...not any more.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

LOL that sad day comes to us all...

16. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

I inherited a comparable department. I was told they were underperforming in some KPI areas. Most were older than me, and all except one had worked in the same institution for 10-20 years.

I, I think, balanced the lead/manage ratio fairly well. I made it clear that there was a direction we were going in, but actively sought and acted upon their views and opinions.

It became apparent to me that a couple of them actually did not care about the students, and were there simply for payday and the pension. But I resisted the push from “above” to manage them out - instead I helped them come to the realisation that they were not enjoying the job, and helped them move on to positive career changes or retirement. All done, from their perspective, on their own terms. So they didn’t lose face, which was important to them.

The majority of them however got on the bus with us, as it were, and are now thriving. Nothing is perfect, and they still have a moan as does everyone, but it’s much improved.

So, as has been said before, get to know them, use that bank of experience, and find out what they want. Temper that with the balance of leadership vs management (remember as teachers we were taught about the balance between positive and negative language with students?) and you can get things where you want them.

Oh, and don’t rush!