1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young HoD

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by physicsbang, Nov 2, 2016.

1. install

install Star commenter

Sounds possibly like more poor practice but after school? Also not thinking of the teachers work-life balance ....seemingly hell bent on putting students through misery

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    BarryIsland and Missbubbleblue like this.
  2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

So how would you target a member of staff who has more free period than should be allotted and needs to be allocated something to do with this? Give it over to SLT so he gets stuck working outside of the department or try to use that time to target students who are struggling for intervention?

3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Why does he have frees?

4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

If he is really under allocation you sort it out with the timetabler and give him a specific task to do in a lesson slot after discussion with the line manager but otherwise you can not direct him to work after school or in lunchtime.

5. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Ive de-railed the op. I try to be vague on this and think sometimes I shouldn't comment to highlight individual cases which sometimes doesn't give the full picture....this is maybe where the aggression back is coming from.

My story was to state that I'm in the same boat as the op, older staff are not responding to what I'm asking which in (I hope most cases) reasonable

6. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

And that was the agreement with my line manager and timetabler. He has frees due to lack of lessons, if he is not allocated within the dept he gets put on "auxillary duties", which no-one wants

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

'Target'?

Perhaps this has not occurred to you but the person whom you wish to 'target' may well be a member here. I hope they are. Have you considered a career in the fast food industry?

8. install

install Star commenter

Oh dear...not having a full picture will certainly cause issues..Do your team have the full picture from you or have you given them bits of the picture too?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Missbubbleblue and sabrinakat like this.
  9. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Well that then is what he does or you put him in to team teach with another colleague in your department to make up the time but you can not require him to teach instead after school or in lunchtime

10. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Wrong understanding of the word target.... apologies to the op, I know now why I shouldn't post in here.

11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

No, I think you said exactly what you meant.

Refer to post #18 by @caterpillartobutterfly and if you are ever in any doubt as to what you are permitted to do as HOD then speak with Alan.

Missbubbleblue likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What did you say to the poor chappie? "I have concerns about your performance. You seem to not be volunteering to for extra lessons in your free time."

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Because people with more professionalism, knowledge and experience might challenge your practice?

14. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Because comment s that maybe were not clear in the first place that I try to clarify get taken, twisted and used in a flame war rather than be productive

15. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I'm leaving this thread now.....

16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I have a far better suggestion for you.

set a performance management target for all other staff in your department to stop doing intervention after school.

Very poor practice, which devalues actual timetabled lessons in the eyes of students, and over burdens staff still further..

17. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Absolutely true. If lessons are effective there should be no need for all this intervention.it just encourages pupils to be needy. And it takes away responsibility from pupils.they need to take responsibility for their progress too.

18. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

OP, it sounds like you've been put in as a stooge by the SLT to "drive through change" (i.e. make people's lives a misery) and quite possibly get rid of some of those bothersome, too highly-paid teachers who can claim to know the job better than the management class (aka "kulaks").

How many years' experience do you have? Which university did you go to? What are you like with the children? Are you cringeworthily "helpful"? These are just some questions those under your benign authority may be asking themselves.

Staff can resist in a hundred ways, especially the more experienced. You may have been parachuted in, thinking you "want the best for the children" while the SLT see you as doing a useful job on bad money, while taking all the flak.

You might do better to have your staff on side. You might enjoy this article by Frank Furedi, an emeritus professor of sociology at the University of Kent: http://www.frankfuredi.com/newsite/...ls_because_of_the_mcdonaldisation_of_educatio

19. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

This.
    If he's under allocation then direct him in the hours that are over his PPA time. Could he go in with other groups/pull a ks3 nurture group if there's a y7-9 lesson over one of his extra hours.
    Plenty of options without trying to direct him to work after school outside of directed hours.

Personally, one evening a week on a fully voluntary basis is reasonable in my mind. But I have been know to be awkward the second people try to tell me I should be doing extras for no pay.

Build the team up, if they don't like you because you've taught for less years then they've got to get over it, but you need to get them to stop doing excessive after school sessions and make it ckear you have their back. You'll get much more from your team that way.

20. hairdo

hairdo Occasional commenter

It may take some time. The important thing is to build up a relationship with your department, and take some time getting to know the lie of the land. Ask for their opinions and show that you respect their experience. Make it a joint effort to improve the department and therefore the results. You may have the leadership position but your team have experience that you can only get over time - they may be less idealistic and may let you know what will and won't work effectively.
    Authoritarianism will not work - you have to show that you are on the teaching staff and not just of the SLT/ Head. Middle Management in schools is just about the trickiest thing to get right. Good luck.

gem_stew, wanet and Missbubbleblue like this.