1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young enterprise

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lozgreeny, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hello,

I am looking to set up a young enterpise/ apprentice style club in my school for year 10s. I have looked through the forums and haven't seen many people posting about their own clubs.
    My idea is to try to contact a few local businesses to see if they are willing to help with sposnorship, how much do these things cost to set up?

Ideas I have had for possible enterprises or tasks are

• stationary
    • smoothies
    • create an APP
    • milkshakes
    • badges
    • wristbands
    • jewellery
    anybody done any of these? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. Hello,

I am looking to set up a young enterpise/ apprentice style club in my school for year 10s. I have looked through the forums and haven't seen many people posting about their own clubs.
    My idea is to try to contact a few local businesses to see if they are willing to help with sposnorship, how much do these things cost to set up?

Ideas I have had for possible enterprises or tasks are

• stationary
    • smoothies
    • create an APP
    • milkshakes
    • badges
    • wristbands
    • jewellery
    anybody done any of these? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

3. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

First thing is to liase with maths dept and create a survey to determine student needs. No offence but you are making the mistake of finding the product first. The first step is to find the audience and then find what they need/want and then supply it. One sure fire winner is a stationery ( right version?) shop. Students will always want pens et. Re badges see your heads of yr/house do they have/want them? Always find the audience and then supply them with what they want NOT what you think they want. I am currently wriitng a book on this to be out next summer.

4. Thanks for your response. Your feedback is helpful it's my first time setting up something like this so I'm not really sure how to start it up hence asking for advice on here. I am in the maths department so creating a survey is a good idea.

Thanks again.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Perhaps I am missing the obvious here, but I presume you have got in touch with the Young Enterprise organisation?
    The link is here in case you have not.
    As for the "company" itself, back in the day when I ran a Young Enterprise group, the students had to come up with the idea, do all the groundwork, etc. etc. Your role, as the teacher in charge, is as a fascillitator and someone to put them, via the network, into contact with professional mentors.