1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Young Enterprise

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by wnash, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Hello everyone, i have just joined Brakenhale school and they would like me to run a young enterprise class with either Year 10s or Year 12s. However, they are not happy with the cost. i think it is £40 per head. Do you feel it is worth this? or is there another cheaper or free enterprise thing out there? thanks for your help, Will

2. Hello everyone, i have just joined Brakenhale school and they would like me to run a young enterprise class with either Year 10s or Year 12s. However, they are not happy with the cost. i think it is £40 per head. Do you feel it is worth this? or is there another cheaper or free enterprise thing out there? thanks for your help, Will

3. Do it yourself for free. I would do it with the Year 12s and try and get a few interested people from business to come in on a rota (parents are usually best).

I did that last year and it worked great!!

4. how can they justify £40, when I used to have a crappy teaching job and was made to teach BS we did it for free

5. made to teach Business Studies? i would imagine it is much more fun to teach Business Studies, than to show how to take a 'screenshot' of my work all the time! (or ICT for those who unsure what i was talking about)

6. wnash, I am trying to help you!

are there any other organisations that do a young enterpirse like thing but dont charge YE prices?

7. It's much better to do it yourself. I've made a booklet to go alongside it which backs up what is covered in lessons and also gives the sessions more structure.

8. many thanks keithreen, would it be possible to email me a couple of your resources? my email is wnashworthamAThotmail.co.uk
    thanks

9. Could you also send me a copy to
    johncutler112003ATyahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

10. vegaslas

vegaslas New commenter

Hi I have just started to run with YE and I agree they are awful. We have been given the run around like no tomorrow. We had them in to run masterclass and I could have done it better myself.

The prices are extortionate.

Can I too have the booklet?
    rhayer@jcc.ac.uk

11. I mentioned this on another YE thread, but no apologies for repetition in a good cause!

Have a look at the Social Entrepreneurs Project run by the charity HopeHIV.
    See http://sep.hopehiv.org/

This encourages children to take £10 seed money and turn it into something bigger, which is used for social projects by the charity.

It provides the same business and entrepreneur skills as YE supposedly does, but without the huge overhead that seems to have developed, and with a charitable/social focus that appeals more to today's youngsters.

12. jit

jit New commenter

13. Could I kindly request a copy too. I have been trying to offer some form of enterprise initiative. The SEP project also looks quite exciting.

lisar7550@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks

14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

perhaps you shopuld publish the booklet through a company like Zig Zag education?

15. Have you looked at the Barnados Business Incentive scheme? They give you £120 as seed money for a business enterprise on the condition that you give them 75% of any profits.
    They don't provide advisors like Young Enterprise, but surely that is what your local EBP is for? And if you use the local SEEN then you can easily organise events like trade fairs.

16. Could I kindly request a copy too. Am willing to share some projects that I have developed over the last couple of years.

jillykelly1@ntlworld.com

17. MrDarcyswife

MrDarcyswife New commenter

Keithreen - I am just startying a young enterprise club also.

Could I possibly have a copy of your book?

irish.belle@hotmail.co.uk

I would be happy to share any resources for BTEC First and GCSE in exchange for this

Belle X

18. cb700

cb700 New commenter

I am starting a new job in jan and this includes running YE! Could i also have a copy of the booklet?
    cmbirkby@talk21.com

19. Dont do Young Enterprise, it is not worth the money or the hassle and more than likely it will fall apart.

Like someone else has said do it yourself. Buying goods from the cash and carry and selling, raising money and investing, making xmas/easter cards and selling them at xmas. If you have a school production, get an enterprise team to run the marketing and financial aspect of it. Do you have any gardens. If so growing plants and vegtables and selling them. All these activities can involve marketing and finance and the pupils can keep a record of costs and revenues and complete financial information.

There a lots of things that can be done.