1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You want Godzillas? This is how you get Godzillas

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Sep 19, 2019.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

S. Korea slams Japan’s actions over Fukushima plant water crisis
    VIENNA--South Korea asked the International Atomic Energy Agency to step in on how to manage radioactive water accumulating at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, citing concerns the water may be discharged into the Pacific Ocean.

During the IAEA's General Conference here, South Korea's First Vice Minister of Science and Information and Communication Technology Moon Mi-ok said Sept. 16 that the issue of contaminated water has not been resolved, “escalating fear and anxiety throughout the world.”

She said that if contaminated water is discharged into the ocean, it would no longer be Japan’s domestic problem, “but a grave international issue that can affect the whole global marine environment,” Moon said...
    http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201909180083.html
    [​IMG]
    Concerning? Maybe. Although something tells me this is more to do with the bad history between the Koreans and the Japanese than with the environment.

[​IMG]Japan’s image is quite favorable in most Asian-Pacific nations surveyed and the United States. About eight-in-ten in the Philippines and Australia report having a positive view of Japan. Roughly two-thirds of Americans and Indonesians also give Japan a favorable rating, and have since 2005.

The exception to this pattern is South Korea, which was long a colony of Japan. Only 35% of South Koreans have a positive view of Japan, while 63% report an unfavorable opinion. South Koreans ages 50 and older – those who may have personally experienced Japanese occupation within their families – are particularly critical of Japan, with only 28% giving a favorable opinion of their Asian neighbor.
    https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2018/11/12/countries-views-of-japan-abe-japanese-views-of-china/

lanokia likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think it is generally agreed we don't want Godzillas.

My understanding is that both SK and China [don't know about NK and others] still bear Japan ill-will due to Japan not facing up to their actions in the 30s and 40s. While Germany is viewed as having atoned, Japan hasn't... too much focus on the nuclear attacks to cloak themselves as victims... not enough on the utter depredations perpetrated by their forces in Korea and China. [as well as elsewhere]

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

"Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    Go, go Godzilla"

artboyusa likes this.
  4. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"I think it is generally agreed we don't want Godzillas…" speak for yourself. I, for one, would welcome our new radioactive monster reptile overlords.

bonxie likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well one thing is for sure... they'd sort out Brexit.

artboyusa and bonxie like this.
  6. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

China is much more of a potential Godzilla judging by the observations in this wide-ranging article (that's admittedly a bit tangential to the OP):

https://www.ridl.io/en/russia-is-ours/

Mind you, trying to get any kind of handle on international power relations is a rather dizzying process.

Shekhovtsov does seem to be quite perceptive, though.

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Thanks, Nosey. An interesting and perceptive article, especially since I laregely share the author's views. Russia is a big, weak country and a nuisance, not a threat. China is a big, powerful country with global ambitions - and beyond global too - which is a massive threat.
    https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/chinas-get-rich-space-program/