1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You Tube converter

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elsie Teacher, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Our Nativity 'Lights, Camel, Action' has dance moves to learn by looking at the Out of the Ark website. Unfortunately they are all You Tube clips and You Tube is blocked at school. In the past I've used various converters to download onto a usb to take to school. This is a pain especially when your computer gets infected with viruses. Can anyone recommend a safe You Tube MP4 converter please?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Why not ask IT to unblock it so that you can access what you need? It's for a legitimate purpose.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Alternatively ask IT to do this for you.
    One further point - it may be against the T&C to download.

4. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

Most converters have been disabled due to Youtube clamping down on copyright etc.

Something different I might be able to suggest. We use viewpure at our school, which is a site that plays youtube videos without the ads, so you don't have to worry about inappropriate things popping up! That might be a way of playing the videos on a site that isn't blocked? You just have to have the URL to copy and paste, but you could do that at home?

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi there - I use a very reliable and user-friendly piece of software called VideoProc. I bought it for showing Youtube videos in places where the wifi might not be strong enough to stream. I use Mac but assume there is a Windows version as well.

Never heard of Viewpure, that sounds like an excellent thing to check out, thank you.

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Just did a quick web search and yes it does have a Windows version too: I see they have a Black Friday deal running. (I am NOTHING to do with this company or its software, just a satisfied user) Not sure if I am allowed to post links or not but if so it's at: https://www.videoproc.com/

7. Niamhynoo

Niamhynoo New commenter

I’m not very ICT savvy but if you put the letters ss infront of the word youtube on the web address (then press return) it takes you to a site called ‘savefrom.net .You can then download the clip and email it to yourself. This then means you don’t need youtube in school. Sorry if this doesn’t solve your problem and you knew how to save it anyway.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

There are plenty of Chrome extensions that will let you rip video from a site, but if so as others have said and get it to unblock it. If they're worried about the children accessing inappropriate sites then the solution is teaching then how to use the internet responsibly