1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"you pick on all the naughty people"

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lovejoy_antiques, Sep 24, 2019.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I was told this by 3 year 8's who went storming off to complain to the headteacher.

I'm not worried for my job. Just wondering why I've spent the last 13 years putting up with facing such nonsense for a living.

2. lovejoy_antiques

Also, new phrase coined by me today: 'the ping-pong parent'. A close relative of the helicopter parent but their main modus of operandi being a barrage of emails and expectation of an ongoing dialogue throughout the day!

lardylegs, steely1, Sally006 and 8 others like this.
  3. Purplesolo

Purplesolo New commenter

And always regarding delicate offspring that you have told off or unbelievably sanctioned in some way thereby damaging their self esteem and thus needing immediate discussion...

4. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Isn't that what you are paid to do?

pepper5 and peter12171 like this.
  5. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

I had to refer one of my tutees today to the head of year for rudeness.

I had asked him not to use the sixth form toilets (he is not a sixth former) "I've been using them for 2 years I will continue to use them..."

Asked him to take his non-uniform sweatshirt off "Don't shout at me you are so rude"

Asked him to take his head phones out... Flat refusal...

Put your phone away in tutor time.... Again, flat refusal.

Can't wait to hear about all my inadequacies for not being charming or scary enough to make him do this on his own accord.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Last year a year 8 bellowed at me " Its ALL YOUR FAULT I'm in detention, you said I would get a detention if I did it again, and you knew I would, when you said that"

7. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

You have reminded me, I had a barmy with the same kid last year. "it is your fault I have been taken out of practical photography for 3 months..."

Kid had come up to my classroom windows, started taking pictures of the kids through the windows, and shouting pussyoleeeee through to his friends.

Yes. My fault...

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"I'm sorry; should I be picking on the people who are following instructions, then?"

jlishman2158, steely1, bonxie and 7 others like this.
  9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The old management deflection technique of saying, "The student's behaviour is not the issue, it is your failure to manage it effectively that is."

10. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

I have a lad in my class being particularly difficult at the moment - won’t follow any instructions, walks out of lessons, swearing at staff and peers, no work done ... you get the picture. Tried phoning home, detentions, all the usual stuff. Went to SLT who came up with ‘oh, he just needs some TLC’. Er...how? ***

11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

It’s not just pupils.

My year 9 class had done reasonably well in a difficult assignment. HoD ‘had a word ‘ with me because , “they’ve got better marks than the other classes. It’s clear you’ve been teaching them “
    Yup, that was a criticism.

12. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Are you supposed to be using flipped learning? Its crazy how much of my career I've had to teach secretly with the door closed and hope I don't get caught

13. lovejoy_antiques

Unbelievable!

14. lovejoy_antiques

TLC: thin long cane?

15. lovejoy_antiques

The latest trend seems to be to allow the most difficult students to bring toys into the lesson. I knew fidget spinners were the thin end of the wedge. This week I've had one kid who's been given a lump of blu tac to 'help him concentrate'/flick around the room. Last week I had one lad who'd fashioned his fidget toy into an ad hoc knuckle duster! Funny how the things given to students to help them concentrate do very little to aid the teacher's concentration on what they are supposed to be teaching!

16. lovejoy_antiques

Well to meet some student's bizarre and self serving expectation of fairness yes! This is the warped logic we are up against!

jlishman2158, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  17. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

And, of course, once they get into the workplace, their employer will fall over backwards to build up their self-esteem and allow them to mess about and answer back when they should be working.

18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

So true saluki.

When they get to work they will not have the right attitude and will be shocked they actually need to be respectul towards others - especially those who help them and sign their pay cheques.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

"these are rules and those are the consequences for not following them. If you are going to do X then you leave me with no options do you?"

20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

This is bizarre is criticising a policemen for arresting only people who have broken the law.