1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You must excuse my ignorance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Apr 2, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've noticed that some threads have a speech bubble next to them with a gold star and exclamation mark, others just have text arranged in such a manner that anyone with poor eyesight might think resembled a shopping trolley.
    What brings about the transition form the latter to the former? Does it always happen, and if not, why not?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I've noticed that some threads have a speech bubble next to them with a gold star and exclamation mark, others just have text arranged in such a manner that anyone with poor eyesight might think resembled a shopping trolley.
    What brings about the transition form the latter to the former? Does it always happen, and if not, why not?

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Hovering your mouse pointer over the icon shows a partial solution.
    The star denotes a popular thread/post. The lack of a star merely notes there is a post (coloured in both instances for new posts).
    Just don't ask me what makes a post popular ;)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I have observed that threads get yellow stars quite quickly if they are about education and at around the 40 post mark if they are non educational but quite topical. If they are neither then they usually cop a gold star at around 60 posts. This is what happens on Opinion. On Personal threads get gold stars more quickly because traffic is slower and on some of the forums like Classics, where hardly anyone goes, a thread with just 10 posts could get a star. I am surprised, mm, that you have only just noticed the stars.

5. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

My post about getting caught speeding has a gold star ... oh the irony!