1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You Love Reception!.... Or, do you?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by chessmaster, Oct 27, 2018.

1. chessmaster

chessmaster New commenter

Hi,
    No-one replied to my earlier question so I expect that I couched it incorrectly, or there are no Reception teachers on the forum who used to be KS2 teachers! So I shall re-phrase my enquiry:
    I have one years' experience of teaching year R, but that was 5 years ago - I have been KS2 ever since. A chance has come up to go back to Reception, and I really wanted some honest feedback from current Reception teachers as to what they love and what they loath. No strings attached! I am just interested in how people find the job these days. I do not want to rely on my, potentially, out of date experience as my only guide! Thanks

pepper5 likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I moved from almost a whole career in KS2+ to nursery this year, so not quite what you are asking. It's a lot of fun and I love it, but sometimes I hanker for just an hour or so standing/sitting at the front of a class and speaking to them all at once while they sit still and listen and then they get on with the same thing (more or less) in books, still sitting at desks.

I do love EYFS, but it is a totally different job.

Hope that helps a little.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. chessmaster

chessmaster New commenter

Thank you - yes, it helps immensely. There is also a requirement to be a core subject leader as well as the Year R teacher. I wonder if there would be the time to do both properly? Am not sure at present how much of one's life is absorbed by Year R. I know how much is absorbed by KS2! 100%!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No more of life is taken up by one year group than another.
    Could be a core subject leader just as much in reception as any other year.

Seems an odd time of year to be thinking of moving.