1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'You look like a Supply Teacher!'

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BertieBassett2, Nov 4, 2018.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I have also posted this on the Personal Forum and have been persuaded to include it here - thanks,@sbkrobson ! On Friday's 'Bake Off: An Extra Slice', Noel Fielding made the above remark to the gentleman pictured - one Joe Wilkinson. Out of interest, how many of you posting as supply teachers resemble Joe? (I only expect male responses...)

BetterNow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

What is ridiculous comment. It shows that Noel Fielding is probably still thinking it is the 1970s and we are in the "inner city" teaching the "Yoot of today...and sending them to "Yoot Training Schemes" of the said era...

I am showing my age... I have come across some really smartly dressed supply teachers as well as ones not so smartly dressed (me...)...I just wear what is reasonably OK these days and what fits...

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. d.clark

d.clark New commenter

I wish I did ;)

pepper5 likes this.
  4. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

[​IMG]
    A typical Supply Teacher?

blazer, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with sebedina...it is a ridiculous comment to make and shows bow far way from the times he is.

Most of the supply teachers I meet are well dressed and neartly groomed.

It is a myth supply teachers are slobs.

6. install

install Star commenter

I like Fielding's humour normally.

But its a bad joke - seemingly made out of Noel's experience and impression of Supply Teachers. To make a derogatory comment about someone's looks and attire is a no,.no these days. Its also an attempt by the speaker to say :
    'I look.better than you ' .But sadly - it makes some people laugh when others are ridiculed, picked on,.cornered...Supply Teachers wouldn't get work if they didn't present themseves very well.

Noel got this one wrong - and what does he know about teaching or even.cooking anyway ? There is a fine line between funny and being rude (Johnathon Ross learned that ) - and msybe Fielding is used to laughter rather than someone saying: 'That is really quite rude '

Having said that - some in uk society do not respect teachers anymore. Its just a job..:cool:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  7. supply287

supply287 New commenter

8. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I'm still working on the beard! :) - aww only male responses never mind :D

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Oi, speak for yourself!;)

10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Did you realise that this was a young Michael Gove - my hero!